I need an explanation of the current judging sheets

In an attempt to understand the criteria by which the judges are arriving at their scores, can someone explain or direct me to a discussion of caption determinants. I am old school from the tick days. What I notice is the subjectivity, the increased value of color guard and visual, and percussion being subsumed within the music caption. In regards to the latter, this makes sense to me since due to the equality of percussion and brass in the old days, when most observers were more tuned into the bugle caption, often led to surprising outcomes for the casual observer.  

Thanks for helping me get current.

Here is a link. http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211086489

As I understand, corps are put in a box, each box has a score range...so box 5 = all the members performing well all of the time. This is where those competing for a medal sit. There is a box 4 and box 3, etc. Examples would be, some of the members most of the time, some of the members some of the time - all based on how well and consistent they perform. Then each section judged has a content and achievement range...so the number on the left is let's say, how difficult it is, the box on the right is how well they perform it based on the difficulty score it has been given. Basically, corps are awarded for what they achieve vs the tick system which is you are deducted from what you mess up. 

I know there is more to it than this, but that is the jist of it. 

Not mentioned in either of the explanatory articles  above that accompany this( as far as I could tell) I might make mention  the segmentation of GE 1 and GE 2.

GE 1 tends to be a predominently visually trained and experienced judge

GE 2 tends to be a predominently musically trained and experienced judge.

in 2014, both GE judges were encouraged to look holistically at the Corps performance and presentation ( ie, musical & visual )

• Like 4

The following link will I think best guide you (in addition to the links provided above).

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209937964

• Like 1

By the way, I think this is a very good thread, very educational & informative, with good links provided for those wanting/needing to more fully understand the judging system. Bravo.

• Like 2

It's definitely a different world today. Music performance and precision marching is still important, but having the right design (with great guard inclusion and staging) and having a show in which the thematic elements coordinate in an effective way (GE) is what will help a corps score well. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

It's definitely a different world today. Music performance and precision marching is still important, but having the right design (with great guard inclusion and staging) and having a show in which the thematic elements coordinate in an effective way (GE) is what will help a corps score well. 

Championships are won and lost by designers in January. It makes no sense to me how much of the pie depends on the work of non-performing adults.

• Like 5

I've never really understood the content marks, honestly. It would make sense to me that the content marks would be much higher than the achievement marks throughout much of the season, and as corps get better the achievement would get very near the content. I know people have said the more you achieve the more the content shows. I can get that to a degree, but I don't need a piece of music to be performed very well to understand it is difficult.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Championships are won and lost by designers in January. It makes no sense to me how much of the pie depends on the work of non-performing adults.

Well, I agree about needing the best designs which are put together by adults; but in order to win or place well you need great performers and great teachers too.  It's never as simple as "give us the best design and we will win."  However, I agree with you that if you take two corps of equal talent and experience and have them compete in 10 shows, the one with the best design will win at least 7 of those shows providing the teachers were competent enough to get the members to perform well.

• Like 2