Corps member getting kicked out

51 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

Not sure what documentation DCI requires for proof of age these days, but back in the 80s, each corps was required to independently acquire certified birth certificates from the state where each member was born. No, the member couldn't turn in their own copy of their birth certificates; each corps was required to order them themselves from the state department of vital records. And each corps was required to have those certified birth certificates physically with them on the road, and DCI could request to see the at any time. I don't recall DCI ever asking to see ours, but they kept on one of the buses just in case.

I had to give a birth certificate to the Guardsmen in 76.  They kept them in a binder. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

Alumni of the Muchachos and Caballeros still discuss (and argue) about the events surrounding DCI, the disqualification, and the "actual results" to this day. I've seen many a heated argument in more than one Hawthorne-area bar (including the Post). 

I may be a caption head at Cabs, but I know when to keep my head down!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Alumni of the Muchachos and Caballeros still discuss (and argue) about the events surrounding DCI, the disqualification, and the "actual results" to this day. I've seen many a heated argument in more than one Hawthorne-area bar (including the Post). 

I may be a caption head at Cabs, but I know when to keep my head down!

Been like that from day 1..It also comes down to a contempt for each other between Mac and Don Pesceone

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Been like that from day 1..It also comes down to a contempt for each other between Mac and Don Pesceone

Did Mr. P have a checkered past during his years in the DCI hierarchy?

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Did Mr. P have a checkered past during his years in the DCI hierarchy?

Without speaking ill of any who have left us. There are stories,experiences,very different perspectives of many individuals from the past. Remember also the world was a different place then and accountability often didnt apply to many at the top. Hmm oh wait...lol:52_fearful:

AS I said though. No love between those 2..To say the least.

Edited by GUARDLING

It was a Corps Member was from the Blue Knights, finals night 2000, in Wisconsin. He got caught with pot supposedly bought from a member of BD, that's what we were told at the time. He was told he could not play but he ran out on the field, last minute before anyone could catch him. That was bad, everyone was afraid it could have screwed Blue Knights over because that is a huge No-No. He was not allowed on the field for retreat and he was sent home on his own dime, I think he flew. He was from Denver and it was a sad time for the Blue Knights family as the kid was very liked.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

In my junior corps days, we had a drummer back in the early 70's who used to come to practice drunk quite often.  I corps director kicked this kid out the corps 2-4 times but he always found a way back into the corps.  This kid could play.  That was the only reason the director would give this kid so many chances.  I used to happen a lot back in the day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gregory11 said:

In my junior corps days, we had a drummer back in the early 70's who used to come to practice drunk quite often.  I corps director kicked this kid out the corps 2-4 times but he always found a way back into the corps.  This kid could play.  That was the only reason the director would give this kid so many chances.  I used to happen a lot back in the day.

I could tell some stories myself but I'm not sure that the statute of limitations is up. :peek:

• Like 3

Back in 1977, one of our best snare player got kicked out in July for some reason and a week later he was marching in the middle of the snare line of a cross town rival corps. He finished the season with them and their drum line kicked our drum line's butt.

Yes.  It happens.  Kids can get sent home simply for consistently challenging authority, or causing discord within the ranks.  We "lost" someone early on when I marched for issues like that... there was someone new there two days later in the spot.

It's easy to get along in drumcorps.  Just do what you're told, as fast and as well as you can.  If you want to go home... talk back to a staff member and see what happens.

• Like 1