Corps member getting kicked out

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes.  It happens.  Kids can get sent home simply for consistently challenging authority, or causing discord within the ranks.  We "lost" someone early on when I marched for issues like that... there was someone new there two days later in the spot.

It's easy to get along in drumcorps.  Just do what you're told, as fast and as well as you can.  If you want to go home... talk back to a staff member and see what happens.

I was a good soldier BITD.  

That 1975 Muchacos horn line had some talent in addition to Jeff Kievet. Jim Prime and Donnie VanDoren to name a few.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

That 1975 Muchacos horn line had some talent in addition to Jeff Kievet. Jim Prime and Donnie VanDoren to name a few.

And that drum line was sick. You couldn't buy a tic off of them.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

I remember Hopkins being pretty open about letting someone go a few years ago.  He had mentioned in a facebook post, I believe, that he had to make the difficult decision of letting someone go because they couldn't hang, and (I know I'm old but I swear I remember this...) how their height didn't allow them to tackle the challenging drill.

1981 Tour Freelancers

Rehearsing at an elementary or middle school in Pennsylvania. Cymbal player, kind of a druggy loser type (yeah I said it). He had marched 2nd or 3rd soprano the previous year.

We are rehearsing in sectionals, then around mid afternoon, Parker calls the entire corps for a special meeting. We all gather around Parker and the other instructors. So the cymbal line comes in the front, and so one of the drum instructors (Allen, I believe) tells whatshis name cymbal player, to please put the cymbals on the ground and leave now back to the gym and pack up your stuff. We all looked at each other and wondered what was going on. So the guy did and just kind of in a sorry mood, quietly put the cymbals down and sulked back to the gym. Then Parker began speaking. He was pretty mad, and commanded and demanded "No DRUGS!", etc. Turns out the cymbal player got caught smoking weed during sectionals on the ground of the school by the school security detective. What a stupid dumb thing to do. He was immediately driven to the Greyhound Bus station and sent home that afternoon. Never saw or heard from him again.

3 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Alumni of the Muchachos and Caballeros still discuss (and argue) about the events surrounding DCI, the disqualification, and the "actual results" to this day. I've seen many a heated argument in more than one Hawthorne-area bar (including the Post). 

I may be a caption head at Cabs, but I know when to keep my head down!

It is interesting to hear how Delucia and Boo, two well-respected important figures in DCI, see the DQ incident so differently.

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It is interesting to hear how Delucia and Boo, two well-respected important figures in DCI, see the DQ incident so differently.

Well, remember Boo marched Cavies that year and so his view of events comes through that lens and Delucia was so invested with his corps and his amazing drum line. It is hard to conceive their perspectives could be the same. That makes the two of them human.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

l was staying at the Hilton in 75 when all this went down with Muchacho\s .As i recall it was a Cavie that turned in a dropped wallet on the field that showed the guy was over age .During a meeting DCI was told 3-5 corps had over age members .All in finals ,if they took action on all they had no contest.So it was decieded to make an to use Muchachos to as a warning to all the corps ,From what i over heard in the dining room Muchacho\s had won prelums.That was stated at the table of judges eating there. 

15 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes... in '75... from outside the stadium, those inside the stadium, heard the disqualified Muchachos  soprano soloist Jeff Kievet play a solo, but not the solo he would have played in the show. It was just a few notes he played of the Cabs " Entrance of the Bulls " signature piece from outside the stadium.. ( or in an entrance corridor inside the stadium but out of sight of anyone in the stands ). Lots and lots of applause he got with that inside the stadium when it was heard... well, at least from the East Coast fans in attendance anyway... haha!... 

was one of hundreds who cheered that.Entrance of the Bulls .If i recall many Booed the Cavies as they entered the field that night,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RogerF said:

1981 Tour Freelancers

Rehearsing at an elementary or middle school in Pennsylvania. Cymbal player, kind of a druggy loser type (yeah I said it). He had marched 2nd or 3rd soprano the previous year.

We are rehearsing in sectionals, then around mid afternoon, Parker calls the entire corps for a special meeting. We all gather around Parker and the other instructors. So the cymbal line comes in the front, and so one of the drum instructors (Allen, I believe) tells whatshis name cymbal player, to please put the cymbals on the ground and leave now back to the gym and pack up your stuff. We all looked at each other and wondered what was going on. So the guy did and just kind of in a sorry mood, quietly put the cymbals down and sulked back to the gym. Then Parker began speaking. He was pretty mad, and commanded and demanded "No DRUGS!", etc. Turns out the cymbal player got caught smoking weed during sectionals on the ground of the school by the school security detective. What a stupid dumb thing to do. He was immediately driven to the Greyhound Bus station and sent home that afternoon. Never saw or heard from him again.

Freelancers 87-92 here...

Yeah.. I heard that story a few years later. If ever there was a gentleman in this activity it was Parker Silva. Every one of the kids that ever put on a Freelancers uniform was one of his kids. He could show kindness and compassion, but like any good parent, he could also show tough love when needed. The man was a decorated WW2 Navy veteran. He would have had a ZERO tolerance for drugs. 

• Like 2