Visual Schmizual

I've been a classically trained musician for the last 30 years (piano & trombone). Understanding musical performance, styles, effects, etc., has been rather easy whether I cared for the music or not. 

Understandung visual design hasn't always been as easy (other than cleanliness and multiple responsibilities). I finally got what was considered excellent in guard in the last ten years. However, it's been difficult for me to know what's good in visual design the last couple of years. Standing still while playing a difficult passage, scatter drill, and body movements seem to do well. 

So...what is visual excellence currently? How does one know it when we see it?

• Like 7

I always think of it like this... if I forget that I'm watching a drum corps show, that corps visual design has done its job. If I'm constantly asking my self "why?" when watching a show... then I'm out of the flow and not naturally enjoying it.

• Like 1

For me, visually I want to see what I am hearing. If the music is aggressive I should see that visually, if emotional I should emotional expression. Basically, a visual representation of what I hear and whay they are trying to communicate. 

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I've been a classically trained musician for the last 30 years (piano & trombone). Understanding musical performance, styles, effects, etc., has been rather easy whether I cared for the music or not. 

Understandung visual design hasn't always been as easy (other than cleanliness and multiple responsibilities). I finally got what was considered excellent in guard in the last ten years. However, it's been difficult for me to know what's good in visual design the last couple of years. Standing still while playing a difficult passage, scatter drill, and body movements seem to do well. 

So...what is visual excellence currently? How does one know it when we see it?

Just look up shows from the 80's and 90's

Good visual is both captivating and mesmerizing. It's entertaining. The difference between good and great visual is the quality of the performance through interpretation. i.e. Godfather movies. Why do some watch them muliple times; captivating, mesmerizing and entertaining.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JKT90 said:

For me, visually I want to see what I am hearing. If the music is aggressive I should see that visually, if emotional I should emotional expression. Basically, a visual representation of what I hear and whay they are trying to communicate. 

That sounds incredibly boring. You must like Phantom Regiment.

Tai Chi to synth space sounds; Role Playing using both body motion and facial emotive expressions; Ramp to Stage running stopping laying down rolling over; on occasion producing vocal and other sounds but only in order to support enhance visual motion; and that is just the performers with brass instruments not counting the percussion and guard.

• Like 3