Allentown: An American Tradition - June 30, 2017

5 hours ago, mfrontz said:

More Allentown rain stories: 

Cavaliers 1993 performing in a downpour.

Glassmen 2004 being pulled off field in the middle of their show, then doing their show after a long delay.

I was at both shows. Before my time, there is a story about rain the night before, and a helicopter being brought in to hover over the field in order to dry it out before a.m. prelims.

I marched in that 93 downpour with The Cavaliers.  It was honestly one of our best performances of the season and one of the most memorable of all my years.  And if they did have a helicopter try to dry off the field for prelims it didn't work, because I wiped out hard on a really difficult direction change in the opener.  It was like an ice skating rink.

Edited by tommynev
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommeee said:

What a dumb waste of time this evening was.  2+ hour drive to Allentown.  Hasn't been raining now for 30 minutes, but still no show.  NOTHING.  Ridiculously bad break for the fans.

Complaints on FB and DCP...we get it, you had a long drive and came away with nothing but wet shoes. So did we. But the storms were unpredictably shifting, on my way home I drove thru more rain and a barrage of lightning. If DCI could predict the path of the storms exactly, and know where the lightning would strike, and if there were no noise statutes or neighbors to consider, and the bands had enough time to get all their instruments/props etc out and setup, and there was time (and suitable dry areas) for warmups, then perhaps your evening might not have been ruined. But the "dumb" part was not on DCI's part.There were 900 MMs and their support staff who's safety HAD TO BE CONSIDERED. I consider the costs of my 5 tickets to now be a donation to an activity that I have loved for years and will continue to support. Sorry you don't feel the same way.

• Like 6

All the points being made here are good ones.  But nothing can change the FACT that DCI needs a major lesson in public relations.  Still no official statement, more than 12 hours after the fact.  

I could care less about my lost money.  But I guarantee that The Cadets did not make money on this show.  The money everyone paid was not a donation.  It went straight down the toilet.  The costs were the same as they would have been if the show went on, but income was WAY less.  

Kids were read to PERFORM.  

I understand, the weather was ultimately to blame.  It's just too bad that it wasn't handled better by DCI.

30 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

I consider the costs of my 5 tickets to now be a donation to an activity that I have loved for years and will continue to support. Sorry you don't feel the same way.

Sorry if I'm coming across as overly bitter.  I just want to set the record straight here.  I've been actively supporting this activity for nearly 30 years.  I love it, and I'm not about to stop supporting it (financially or otherwise) just because of a rained-out show!  :)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

All the points being made here are good ones.  But nothing can change the FACT that DCI needs a major lesson in public relations.  Still no official statement, more than 12 hours after the fact.  

I could care less about my lost money.  But I guarantee that The Cadets did not make money on this show.  The money everyone paid was not a donation.  It went straight down the toilet.  The costs were the same as they would have been if the show went on, but income was WAY less.  

Kids were read to PERFORM.  

I understand, the weather was ultimately to blame.  It's just too bad that it wasn't handled better by DCI.

DCI on site makes the call. The show sponsor announce the cancellation (that was YEA! in this case)

They (Cadets) tweeted and posted it on face book and made announcements at the site via the ticket box - all last night

At the time they also have to let all the corps know and volunteers know, fans at ticket box etc - so it can take a view minutes

As far as the money side of thing - corps still get paid, judges costs still occur (travel/housing etc) and the DCI fee still has to be paid

AND you have zero walk up ticket sales (sometimes 50-75% of the total tickets sold) and advance ticket sales were not tremendous for this show I would guess with the small top corps line up (how does Muncie have such a loaded line up and Cadets home show only gets Cadets and Crossmen as better "draws"?)

You also do not get any program or concession sales

So yes - it's a big financial set back. And sucks for all the fans.

Yuck!

Hopefully YEA!/Cadets took out a rain insurance policy to protect the event

There are others on the site here that work on producing local DCI contest (or have) and may have more horror stories and details to share

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Sorry if I'm coming across as overly bitter.  I just want to set the record straight here.  I've been actively supporting this activity for nearly 30 years.  I love it, and I'm not about to stop supporting it (financially or otherwise) just because of a rained-out show!  :)

I understand your feelings.  I'm a Crossmen supporter and my theater screwed up for the premiere and didn't start the show until the Crossmen ballad.  I spent the last two days watching them practice new things for the show and when I get to the show to actually see them in person IN UNIFORM, it is canceled.  I am so disappointed and feel cursed about all the money have spent so far only to be disappointed.  I traveled from Long Island for this show.  I have other plans on Sunday and don't want to cancel them for the Clifton show.  I don't like that stadium.

I understand no refunds.  I did go up to the ticket stand at the show and the guy SEEMED willing to exchange for the Clifton show or their DCA show.  When I asked about exchanging for the Chester show, he lied and said it was near sold out and I could only get end zone, but couldn't do it then.  Very vague.  I looked up on line and there are tickets available for the Chester show.

Edited to add:  I will probably not pay ahead of time next time and buy tickets at the show.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Standrews said:

There use to be "rain dates".

In all the weather-related cancellations I've seen over the decades,the only time I got a rain date was for the '73 U.S. Open.

The Saturday evening finals were rained out (after some incredible WET performances).  They did finals Sunday afternoon, which created some logistical problems for corps headed to Sunday evening contests in Ohio/Michigan/Ontario.