Allentown: An American Tradition - June 30, 2017

31 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

DCI on site makes the call. The show sponsor announce the cancellation (that was YEA! in this case)

They (Cadets) tweeted and posted it on face book and made announcements at the site via the ticket box - all last night

At the time they also have to let all the corps know and volunteers know, fans at ticket box etc - so it can take a view minutes

As far as the money side of thing - corps still get paid, judges costs still occur (travel/housing etc) and the DCI fee still has to be paid

AND you have zero walk up ticket sales (sometimes 50-75% of the total tickets sold) and advance ticket sales were not tremendous for this show I would guess with the small top corps line up (how does Muncie have such a loaded line up and Cadets home show only gets Cadets and Crossmen as better "draws"?)

You also do not get any program or concession sales

So yes - it's a big financial set back. And sucks for all the fans.

Yuck!

Hopefully YEA!/Cadets took out a rain insurance policy to protect the event

There are others on the site here that work on producing local DCI contest (or have) and may have more horror stories and details to share

Maybe because the Cadets/YEA other FOUR home shows have some pretty good lineups. If this was the only show Cadets/YEA produced/sponsored, I might agree with you about the lineup. But they host FIVE  DCI &/or TOC shows, six if you count the DCA show.

Regarding rain dates

I can recall local circuit finals having having dates, but I don't recall what they once referred to as DCI Sanctioned shows having rain dates. For one thing there were no props and electronics involved so shows often went on unless thunder and lightning was involved, with the exception of the show that involved the unnamed girl of an unnamed corps in an unnamed year who continued holding flag after being struck by lightning, not causing a penalty for the corps (an urban legend that circulated in the groups that marched in the Boston circuits: CYO, Eastern Mass,  and Mayflower, and some of us were gullible enough believe it, or maybe it was just me). Whether she got a tic for falling dead to the ground, I don't know. With national shows, there was a good chance the corps would be in another city the following day, so a rain date might not be possible.

I do understand people wanting refunds for cancelled shows, but a rained out show is costly for the corps. I've had to eat my fair share of tickets for rained out shows, and it's easy to be diplomatic when the show cancelled is not on you attended. I probably miffed at tee time. Now I do have a question for accountants, H &R Block folks, and such, since no services are rendered, could the cost of a ticket for cancelled show be deducted as a charitable contribution?

For some great "rain" shots the are funny hots from either the 1978 or 1979 National Dream and on the 1994 Legacy DVD, there are vignettes of people complaining about a partial cancellation. 

6 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

you might be able to write off tickets for rained out shows on taxes... money given to a non-profit and no goods / services received in return?

disclaimer: not a lawyer.

Might be able to right a portion off even if the show is held.  Disclaimer:  not an accountant.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Might be able to right a portion off even if the show is held.  Disclaimer:  not an accountant.

For a ticket to be considered a donation, it would most likely have to have the word donation along with the amount of the suggested donation. For it to be a partial donation such as what PBS often does, you charge a higher amount than the fair market value of the goods or service, subtract the higher amount from the fair market value, and the balance is the donation.  

21 hours ago, Tommeee said:

True, and I agree.  But the official reason from DCI was "excessive lightning".  The lightning was nowhere close.  I would've at least liked to see Cadets do a standstill.  Kids were ready, and noticeably bummed!

Don't know about Allentown, but in my area of NJ there are lightening monitors all over the area, and if one goes off within  the geographic radius that covers the stadium, it has to be vacated, and there can be no more lightening in the area for (I think) an hour before the stadium is reopened.

YEA, as do other corps, purchase rain insurance for their events. The payout depends on how much rain, measured at the closest airport, falls within a specified amount of time. If the numbers are met, the organization gets the money from the insurance. That's one of the reasons they have to wait to make the call, so they meet those numbers and get paid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fishindoog said:

Forget a raindate. The whole park area where the corps warm up is now under water. I have never seen flooding this bad in 50 years.

That's crazy. I guess it was BAD!!!