1964 VFW Inspections

This is a message I received about that contest.

"For all the Corps of that era, I dedicate this video to all that had to stand at attention and endure the “Inspection”. I am honored to have had the privilege to have been part of that great time in Drum & Bugle Corps history. Fifty years ago, the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  were in Cleveland at the VFW Nationals. Our time came and we were ready for the test. By the end of the inspection, we were given 3 “tics” – not bad at all. Later we would find out that all inspection penalties were declared off the score sheets – all that time and effort to be almost perfect and it didn’t count….. "

5 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

I do know that I saw that some corps that normally had great inspection scores were not happy that everybody was handed a perfect score.

It was a slap in the face to every corps member who worked so hard to prepare for inspection. A terrible decision.

16 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

I do know that I saw that some corps that normally had great inspection scores were not happy that everybody was handed a perfect score.

"Inspection Scores Nixed":

I understand that something like this also happened at the 1969 VFW Nationals?    

Anybody out there have the down and dirty?

Elphaba    :flower:

1 hour ago, elphaba01 said:

"Inspection Scores Nixed":

I understand that something like this also happened at the 1969 VFW Nationals?    

Anybody out there have the down and dirty?

Elphaba    :flower:

Most likely Ken Norman ... he always said Tony S could find ya a few tenths here and there if ya needed them.  :-)

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, Ghost said:

Which corps caused the results to be dropped?  I'm guessing a mid west corps who had Tony S. ear.  Thanks.

So, I'm enjoying the World Series game and receive an e-mail from about 2,800 miles away asking why I didn't post the answer to this question that they sent me recently.  Hell, I haven't been on this site in months.  Anyhoo, the answer sent was the Cavaliers.  I believe they also pulled some strings at the VFW in 70.  Went from 11th in prelims to 3rd (behind Troopers and Boston) in the finals.  Until net year, adios.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:32 PM, Ghost said:

So, I'm enjoying the World Series game and receive an e-mail from about 2,800 miles away asking why I didn't post the answer to this question that they sent me recently.  Hell, I haven't been on this site in months.  Anyhoo, the answer sent was the Cavaliers.  I believe they also pulled some strings at the VFW in 70.  Went from 11th in prelims to 3rd (behind Troopers and Boston) in the finals.  Until net year, adios.

From what I recall, the Cavies were assessed a penalty at that 1970 VFW prelims that dropped their score down to 11th place.

What the penalty was for, I don't remember.