Lovely Lisle - July 1 2017

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Cavaliers guard difficulty is off the charts. I'm not a huge fan of the show concept or design in general, but no corps save perhaps Bluecoats is playing while marching as much as Cavaliers is. Guard never stops the entire show, and they are from one end zone to the other.

I think their guard book is amazing and hopeful they can clean it. I'm not a fan of this edition of The Cavaliers. It seems the only melody comes from the prerecorded music!  

Cavaliers doesn't feel like a musical show to me. There are almost no sustained playing sections. And I am not a fan of their message, either, but that's just me.

Edited by MikeRapp

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Cavaliers guard difficulty is off the charts. I'm not a huge fan of the show concept or design in general, but no corps save perhaps Bluecoats is playing while marching as much as Cavaliers is. Guard never stops the entire show, and they are from one end zone to the other.

it's frantic - honestly reeks of A.D.D. a bit. I love their energy but (like last year) the show just leaves me wanting some slow long moments allowing the music and visual to develop and breath more

however - on the flip side - the energy and "entertainment" factor is a wow... so the crowd loves them and it is so impressive

I also agree with the challenges laid out before them - huge spatial challenges, very tough on the ensemble visually and musically to avoid phasing

It will be a popular show for sure (already is) - question is can they get it clean enough to challenge the corps ahead of them or stave off those just behind them? We will know more by SAT

35 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Hey George I really appreciate your informative opinion of the Scouts' production this year!  I have not had the opportunity to see them live with my schedule this year as of yet. It is good for a change to see that they finally have a show with enough content to be a solid finalist. Hopefully they can take this change and build a solid foundation to move forward as in years past.

it's a MUCH better position to be in - when the judges are giving you solid content and rep scores - and now you just rehearse, rehearse, rehearse..

and as they improve those content / GE scores should go UP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, superOOk said:

So I got a special private live stream of the BLOO show tonight, and here are my thoughts:

• Ballad was MUCH improved. It seems that they are not fading the end now. It may have just been my vantage point though. It sounded amazing. Jeremy NAILED it again.
  • Zombie Woof is OFF THE HOOK. So tight for July 1. The soloists are much improved, just over the last few days. They are really locking in.
  • Wow what a stage build/tear-down. This, in itself, should win some sort of prop award, just in the logistics of everything
  • Just realized, the Drum Major actually doesn't start the show. The pit starts the audio clip and things go from there. Pretty neat. They've added in the intro to Bluecoats clip to the audio now.
  • The drum line was SMOKIN. Sanford? Maybe.
  • Overall, best run I've seen BLOO do this year. Not sure what it was, but they had a great night. Lots of little choreo added to guard and horn line movement from last week. Incredible amount of stuff happening in this show.
  • Aaron Beck and his sound team are dialing this show in. Tonight was the best I've heard it.

Yeah, it was an amazing run! Zappa was so locked in, it was scary. My wife was amazed at the ballad, the sound engineering is a technological marvel. The trumpet soloists (and piccolo!) had great nights. This show has gold written All over! Kinda a mind blow how much is going on simultaneously, including the multiple demands I.e. That uptempo drill while playing some very technical licks...it's so polished already. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JAZZER said:

Yeah, it was an amazing run! Zappa was so locked in, it was scary. My wife was amazed at the ballad, the sound engineering is a technological marvel. The trumpet soloists (and piccolo!) had great nights. This show has gold written All over! Kinda a mind blow how much is going on simultaneously, including the multiple demands I.e. That uptempo drill while playing some very technical licks...it's so polished already. 

it is extremely well-designed, the corps is stronger than 2016 in all captions it seems

hard to beat it IMO

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Hmmm....Madison must not have performed tonight? Not a single mention of them in this thread.

Nice pics of them though. Did they eat a bag of ####s that much?

Madison sounded good, and they were really working it, but they had the most subdued crowd response of the evening, even compared to Pioneer. I felt badly for them as they got golf claps at the end of their show. I did not hear any chatter about them before or after their performance, despite hearing many long and learned disquisitions on other corps, new and old. 

To put it in some context, the stands were packed, but the audience seemed to consist mostly of dinos (myself included), with few if any bandos. I saw a lot of jackets and shirts from corps of the 60's, 70s and 80s (Kilties and Guardsmen, represent!). So, this might not be the most receptive crowd for what this new Madison was selling. 

And Madison's show is kind of strange. I admire their courage in trying on new jammies, but the dull brown / yellow palette and fuzzy headdresses leave their visual looking muted and muddy, especially when compared to the visual pizazz of Bluecoats' high-contrast black and white. My wife, who has little drum corps experience, found Madison a bit creepy, and she could not follow whatever Mad Max theme they were trying to convey (I generally ignore themes altogether and just listen to the music). 

My overall take on Madison's show, and this may sound strange, is that it is a little bit hostile to the audience. Last night's audience seemed to be returning the sentiment. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it is extremely well-designed, the corps is stronger than 2016 in all captions it seems

hard to beat it IMO

That is the tangible benefit of being the "it" corps. But it also is the result of purposefully making shows for the kids who are marching. Very clear they want the kids to perform like they are having a blast. There is something very infectious when a performer knows the audience is going to love them and is eager to cheer at all the right moments.

Tilt and DSU were, for me, more fun shows to watch, but in the context of this season this show is really only challenged in parts by two or three other shows. I saw the rumor that this show might originally be called Non Stop, and I can see why.

Bluecoats should repeat. It's just not going to be possible to beat them in GE.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

That is the tangible benefit of being the "it" corps. But it also is the result of purposefully making shows for the kids who are marching. Very clear they want the kids to perform like they are having a blast. There is something very infectious when a performer knows the audience is going to love them and is eager to cheer at all the right moments.

Tilt and DSU were, for me, more fun shows to watch, but in the context of this season this show is really only challenged in parts by two or three other shows. I saw the rumor that this show might originally be called Non Stop, and I can see why.

Bluecoats should repeat. It's just not going to be possible to beat them in GE.

You know Crown was like a tenth behind in GE the other day?