Any DCI Parent ever have a convo like this?

2 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Davis(this morning via text) : "Dad, I can't find my wallet anywhere".

Me: "Please call home as soon as you can".

FOUR HOURS later ( on the phone):

Davis:"Dad, the last time I remember seeing it was at the laundromat in Kokomo, Indiana. I've called them but I'm not hopeful they have it and even if they did, not sure how I would get it. I'm in Wisconsin!"

Me: "Well, we need to cancel your debit card if it's really lost...have you looked in the creases of the bus seat, checked every pocket of your book bag?..

Davis: "Yes"

Me: "Could it be somewhere in the gym you're sleeping in?"

Davis: "Yes...I've looked everywhere".

Me: "Okay son, we'll figure it out before you're at Disney on Saturday..."

Davis: " Oh no...is Disney BEFORE we come to Powder Springs" ?

Me: "Yes...and you know what's going to happen don't you? As soon as we cancel your debit card you're going to find it..."

Davis( laughing); "Probably".

Me to Laurie (my wife and CFO of the household) : "Okay, go ahead and cancel his debit card".

THIRTY SECONDS later ( on phone)

Davis : "DAD! HAVE YOU CANCELLED MY CARD? I JUST FOUND IT! I forgot that I hid it in one of my Sperrys in my suitcase!

About 10 seconds before Laurie was going to hit "Enter" to cancel his card.

Crisis averted. Carry on, my wayward son! 

( I've never heard such relief in his voice...and the young man sounds like he's having the time of his life on the road with the Cavaliers! )

Yes.  

• Like 1

I have a version of that conversation with my wife at least once a year. Luckily, our bank now has a "freeze" function on our cards, so we can temporarily suspend her card until it shows up at the bottom of some purse that's in the trunk of the car, because that's not her usual purse but she used it one night because it better matched her outfit when she was going out with the girls.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The worst part was that after tour, getting his clothes really clean again was quite an adventure.  His laundry skill weren't the greatest.  Definitely wouldn't pass the Martha Stewart seal of approval.  Or mine.  Even after "laundry lessons" before tour.  

I considered a clothing bonfire after he returned home.  

Haha yeah. I swear some clothing came back in shades of colors I didn't know were possible.

As for myself, I remember losing my wallet once on tour. Somehow it ended up on an on ramp in California, and luckily this Marine not only spotted it but stopped to retrieve it. He called any number he could find in it, and eventually got a hold of my dad. Got it mailed to a friend in Texas who would be at a show. Didn't let it leave my sight for about the next two weeks after that.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The worst part was that after tour, getting his clothes really clean again was quite an adventure.  His laundry skill weren't the greatest.  Definitely wouldn't pass the Martha Stewart seal of approval.  Or mine.  Even after "laundry lessons" before tour.  

I considered a clothing bonfire after he returned home.  

I think I tossed anything I wore in rehearsal at the end of tour.  Free day clothes were ok, but other clothes are just sweaty and stay sweaty and balled up until you reach laundry day (still have to fit them in your suitcase, so... yea, not great. lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

I think I tossed anything I wore in rehearsal at the end of tour.  Free day clothes were ok, but other clothes are just sweaty and stay sweaty and balled up until you reach laundry day (still have to fit them in your suitcase, so... yea, not great. lol

Yeah, especially socks.

Actually, i think i just got new socks halfway through tour as well. They might have lasted, but new socks made rehearsal much nicer. 

• Like 2