We were no performing art majors!

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Whoops, there we go.  Can't take this discussion seriously once the p-word has been used.

Mike

Absolutely! I think his issues with the activity lie deeper than worrying about keeping neighborhood kids off the streets.

4 hours ago, cmhs59 said:

The key word here seems to be "funding".  I agree.  BUT..we must be careful of what we wish for sometimes.

School band programs are funded by taxes.(With lots of fund raisers by parents, etc.)  With so many people screaming for "single payer", "free" health care in this country we may get it someday. Look to our neighbors to the north who had a ton of drum corps years ago to see what happens when you get "free" health care.  You don't get much else. They don't have very many music programs up there.  

not all aspects of a marching band is tax dollar funded. boosters pick up more and more of the tab every year, even buying equipment

• Like 1

We just had a 4th of July parade in my hometown and there were no high school bands.  Schools out.  The summer was prime drum corpset season.  So what are the kids who like to play and march doing if they didn't get accepted by a corps.  In the 60'same the 4th of July parade had a dozen or more corps and field depth entry bands.  No more.  I think there is a need to bring back the local corps programs.

Grenadier

8 minutes ago, Grenadier said:

We just had a 4th of July parade in my hometown and there were no high school bands.  Schools out.  The summer was prime drum corpset season.  So what are the kids who like to play and march doing if they didn't get accepted by a corps.  In the 60'same the 4th of July parade had a dozen or more corps and field depth entry bands.  No more.  I think there is a need to bring back the local corps programs.

Grenadier

who's paying or sponsoring these programs we remember from back in the day

Grenadier

I would like to think that groups like the local volunteer  fire departmentstation or vfw would fund the groups.  The question is if it was funded would the kids join.?

26 minutes ago, Grenadier said:

I would like to think that groups like the local volunteer  fire departmentstation or vfw would fund the groups.  The question is if it was funded would the kids join.?

As long as they didn't look and sound like the corps from the 60s you so fondly remember, they would have to be something they would want to join.

I'm an executive director at the Bushwackers, this past winter we started a "collaboration " with a charter school that sent us 50 middle school students to learn how to march and play, we call this group "Bush Academy". They had 5 rehearsals this winter taught by our staff before our winter camps on Saturdays. They learned a few easy pieces of music, I believe a Bruno Mars tune, and by May this group paraded down the streets of Princeton NJ on Memorial Day representing our organization. They play 3 valve Bb brass, student model drums including quads and tuned bass and they are taught how to read music the minute they join. Next season the plans are to expand to high school age students and add a color guard and more rehearsals. It can be done if you have the patience and funding BUT be forewarned these kids won't join if you plan on emulating a 1960s type drumcorps, they want something more to their tastes and likings.

Jay

Bush

• Like 5

1 minute ago, HBD said:

As long as they didn't look and sound like the corps from the 60s you so fondly remember, they would have to be something they would want to join.

I'm an executive director at the Bushwackers, this past winter we started a "collaboration " with a charter school that sent us 50 middle school students to learn how to march and play, we call this group "Bush Academy". They had 5 rehearsals this winter taught by our staff before our winter camps on Saturdays. They learned a few easy pieces of music, I believe a Bruno Mars tune, and by May this group paraded down the streets of Princeton NJ on Memorial Day representing our organization. They play 3 valve Bb brass, student model drums including quads and tuned bass and they are taught how to read music the minute they join. Next season the plans are to expand to high school age students and add a color guard and more rehearsals. It can be done if you have the patience and funding BUT be forewarned these kids won't join if you plan on emulating a 1960s type drumcorps, they want something more to their tastes and likings.

Jay

Bush

And don't forget the local veterans groups are dropping like flies, it's hard enough for them to keep their doors open let alone fund a drumcorps or band of any type. The world we live in today is quite different now. Like it or hate it, it's the truth.

Jay

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HBD said:

And don't forget the local veterans groups are dropping like flies, it's hard enough for them to keep their doors open let alone fund a drumcorps or band of any type. The world we live in today is quite different now. Like it or hate it, it's the truth.

Jay

The vets groups, plus churches, Knights of Columbus, pretty much any of the groups that used to sponsor local corps. All struggling to one degree or another.

It's high school and college bands now. A good thing, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grenadier said:

sponsorship like this disappeared  decades ago. It's one of many reasons that the local thing died off, like other groups.