Are some Corps losing their identity?

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yet I a lowly drummer, can pick out BD's brass just from the sound....so obviously some things didnt change as much as you think

I already addressed that earlier, but because I respect ya (and I mean that) I will do so again: The BD brass ‘sound’ is still identifiable because Downy, Meehan, and likeminded BD staff have been extremely loyal to BD for over 10,000+ years; whereas most other arrangers and staff have played on the DCI Merrie-Go-Round.  Example: The 2008 PR ‘sound’ (both brass/percussion) is now the SCV ‘sound’ due to Shaw and Rennick’s jumping on that carousel

1 hour ago, dcsnare93 said:

No, they haven't lost their identity. They've evolved. Most all identities evolve over time. There's some shared DNA, but trends and styles come and go.

Over the past number of years, other than BD, corps staff have hopped from corps to corps to corps more than rabbits copulate!  While it is true some staff moved from one corps to another 'back in the day' (I am not daft) it was rather rare and once they moved they stayed at the corps for years and years (see Delucia move from Bridgeman to Star as an example). But most staff were so devoted once they found a home (see PR Wren/Hurley as an example) they would never have entertained the thought to jump from corps to corps to corps. So, this current loss of corps individual identity is not really a situation of ‘evolving’ (like what is happening to BD), and it is more than just corps to corps sharing ‘some’ DNA that is causing the homogenization loss of identity; it is the downright DNA extraction and replacement from corps to corps to corps from season to season to season that has gone on more wildly in this millennium.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I think it's great that corps are doing different things. Love SCVs new look. It's cool to see Boston with a new look. Also playing music variety. BD still plays jazz just a variation of it. I remember Star never really having a true identity since one year after another was different. I think they were the first modern drumcorp to have a different look year after year. 

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Compare the arranging of Happy Days are Here Again of 1988 to the Happy Days are Here Again arrangement of 2009.

Compare the arranging of Blue Light Red Light of 1992 to anything in the 2012 show.

That is what I am referring to as losing an Identity.

I don't think you have any idea what BD's "identity" even is. It's certainly nothing as defined by you, that much is pretty clear.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I already addressed that earlier, but because I respect ya (and I mean that) I will do so again: The BD brass ‘sound’ is still identifiable because Downy, Meehan, and likeminded BD staff have been extremely loyal to BD for over 10,000+ years; whereas most other arrangers and staff have played on the DCI Merrie-Go-Round.  Example: The 2008 PR ‘sound’ (both brass/percussion) is now the SCV ‘sound’ due to Shaw and Rennick’s jumping on that carousel

to be honest, I liked the sound better at Phantom than with SCV. Mainly because I havent been a fan of how theyve integrated electronic with it

3 hours ago, Kamarag said:

I don't think you have any idea what BD's "identity" even is. It's certainly nothing as defined by you, that much is pretty clear.

My apologies; I was not aware you are the expert for all things BD, and thank you for enlightening me that I have no idea what entails an identity.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

My apologies; I was not aware you are the expert for all things BD, and thank you for enlightening me that I have no idea what entails an identity.

Way to flip the script, therefore proving my point. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

as an active alumnus of the corps, I think Johns more in touch with the BD mentality than you wish to give credit for

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

as an active alumnus of the corps, I think Johns more in touch with the BD mentality than you wish to give credit for

Was responding to him being condsending; if he had voiced his opinion without the personal jab implying that I have no clue as to what constitutes as identity my reply would have been respectful. Someone who disrespts opinions of others deserves a mirror reflection of that disrespect.