Can Cadets medal?

Can Cadets medal?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Can Cadets medal?

• Absolutely.
    • No, there are too many corps that are just better.
    • No, the design is not a Top Three design.

So I think we can all agree that the rumors of the Cadets' demise were greatly exaggerated. But can they do the scarcely thinkable and place Top Three?

Note the question is 'can' not 'will.'

No bashing. Just have fun.

• Like 2

There are probably 6 corps than can potentially medal. If Cadets want to be one of the groups that do, they'll have to make sure their changes are strong ones and then get their performance levels  up to the level of a top 3 corps. They are certainly much stronger than anyone gave them credit for and improving on a very accelerated pace, but they'll need to earn it like anyone else striving to medal. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I guess anything is possible.  Right now, the brass section does not seem to be on pace for top 12, much less top 3... but if they somehow fix that, and amaze us all with a new closer, maybe they can move up.

If that's the case, then the corps in the 6-12th range don't have a brass line to make it into top 12 either. 

• Like 8

I don't think so. I believe Cadets' ceiling is 4th. I only saw them on Flo last night, and that wasn't the best due to the choir mic problem. Problem is, BD, BC, SC, CC are all very solid with designs and momentum that will hold up over the weeks ahead. Cavaliers are hard to figure. But, as weird as Cavaliers appear to be, I think by Indy they will be executing the daylights out of that show.

Cadets have an impressive look, sound, and feel, no doubt. They will be an audience hit wherever they go. I just don't see Cadets beating more than two of the corps outscoring them (in my mind) at this point. The corps ahead now will not be frozen in time with their own growth process. 

The entire top six could end up within 2-3 points making this year's champion a mystery right up until the end. Quite an accomplishment if Cadets DO medal!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 7

It will be difficult with some very seasoned and experienced drum corps out there. The Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Crown, and Santa Clara all seem to have experience and excellent performance levels with good design. Cavaliers look quite good and more experienced than in past years.  But it would not shock me if Cadets did medal. For the first time since 2011 they have a really good total show design. The 2012 show had a nice design, but not quite top 3. The 2013, 2014, and 2015 shows had killer talent in brass, percussion, and marching. But in each case they just could not fine tune the theme and pull the GE out of those shows. 2016 was...well not good.  Now they have design, but do they have the performance levels? Let's see what happens. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

can they do the scarcely thinkable and place Top Three?

Well, you just phrased it as " the scarcely thinkable", so I'd agree that 3rd place is " scarcely thinkable " for the Cadets this season the same as you. Approx. 2/3rds of the poll respondents would agree with you on this too. Its a combination of others being better than them this season, and the Cadets show design not on par with the likely medalists at the top. That said, its still very early in the season to be doing a poll such as this when so many Corps have yet to go head to head with one another. Cadets are currently ranked 3rd based upon the early season results, but from your poll, it would appear that the vast majority of DCP'ers do not believe they will stay in 3rd place and are likely to be caught from behind ( SCV, for one ) as the season progresses.

Edited by BRASSO

The difficult thing about making top 3 this year is this: who is taking Bluecoats or Blue Devils out? Might there only be one open spot in the top 3?  To me, the Bluecoats are not going anywhere outside the top 3. 

• Like 2