Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

8 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Can't compare scores from different shows.

Yes you can, you have to look closely, but it can be done.  It's not like judges only judge once, then aren't hired again, and it's not like they don't talk to each other.  There will be judges that judge the same corps again and it's human nature to have expectations from those other adjudications.

39 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You're not the only one to have issues with the WGI concepts in DCI, etc.  So I wouldn't feel bad about explaining your feelings. I, myself, have enjoyed what Bluecoats, SCV, and others are bringing to the table.  Admittedly there are a number of corps out there that have no business copying this model. There are a lot of shows that are missing the boat. Not only can they not entertain, but they don't score well either. 

This is it for me. I like almost anything when designed and executed very well. Some of this is very tough to pull off, however, and so we get weird, messy, incoherent things, even when done pretty nicely by talented mms.

8 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, you are right. SCV will score an 80.200 at finals (wait semifinals, they won't make finals) because they have worked out all their issues and have peaked. Bluecoats have so many more issues than SCV that they will beat them by at least 17 points at finals (err, I mean semifinals). It's going to take me a while to get used to not referring to SCV and finals in the same breath.

Nobody said that, stop making this some kind of pissing match and have a decent constructive conversation, rather than acting like someone else attacked your reason for living.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I have no way of knowing if Bluecoats had a bad run, technical problems, or otherwise. 

I saw the show on Flo. I said on the Orlando show thread last nite ( still on there ) that Bluecoats ( imo ) had a rough run,  had frac solos in the backfiield solo 1st half of the show, and electronics issues, and that SCV had a very good run. I thought the combination of the two would give SCV an opportunity to top the Bluecoats last nite. The judges saw and heard what I ( and assume others) did. Judges responded accordingly. Bluecoats/ SCV/ BD/ Crown will be neck and neck all the way to San Anton, imo. Then , like every year, it will be narrowed down to 2, or perhaps 3 ( at most) Corps for the title. Bluecoats still have an excellent chance to be one of those 2, 3 Corps, imo.... and as for SCV, I said 2 weeks ago they would be a medalist, or even could perhaps win it all. This is shaping up as a GREAT season of interesting, diverse shows, and competition up and down the line!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CDUB said:

A few scattershot thoughts on the morning after my first viewing of some of this year's shows . . .

1.  I am really not digging the whole WGI vibe, especially the uniforms.  The MMs look less like members of a drum corps and more like dancers who also play instruments.  It is not a great look and I think limits the big-picture visual package.  I understand the need to evolve, but I don't know that doing so requires everyone to jump into sequin-covered Under Armor.  

2. Similar to 1, it seems to me that the show designs are getting more and more abstract.  I'm not sure that I followed a single show from last night (although I missed Blue Star due to Flo problems).  What exactly is going on in SCV's show? Don't even get me started on Phantom Regiment, which looks and sounds like a glorified mess.  I feel like I need a libretto for each show.  My advice to the corps would be to stop trying to chase Blue Devils.  That corps has, somehow, figured out how to put an abstract, complex show on the field.  These other corps have essentially mortgaged their identity to try to chase points and become more like BD.  PR, I am looking directly at you.

3.  Bloo.  This will be a great show to listen to on CD.  The problem is that music is only half (and maybe only a third!) of a DCI show.  Someone is going to have to tell me where all this GE is coming from, because I don't see it.  Marching through, and hiding in, the stage prop aside, this show design seems pretty half-baked.  Unlike last year, when the props had design significance in the show, the prop in this year's show is a glorified stage.  It bears no relation to anything in the show. Again, the music is very cool, but I'm not sure I understand how it connects to the overall theme of the show.  

I will now go into hiding as I get virtual tomatoes thrown at me for the sour post . . .

53 minutes ago, CDUB said:

It seems to me that DCI > WGI, and I think a lot of people feel that way.  So it is confusing to me why designers are shifting so dramatically toward WGI styles.  That's not to say that designers can't incorporate some WGI elements into their DCI shows, but it sure seems like more and more corps are starting to immerse themselves into the WGI design pool.  Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think that strategy will start to turn off the "average fan."

I think it can be answered by saying, you are seeing a majority of drill designers or visual teams, come from a background of WGI or Color Guard background.  If you look at what is dominating the landscape right now it is BOA, and WGI with its preponderance of Color Guard, Indoor Winds and Percussion shows.  They have always had more of a flare towards a Theatrical productions centered around around the guard - take a look at the amount of props, scenery, tarps, etc on the field.  It's really a continuation of Gail Royers' vision that he talked about in the late 80's when he said that he saw the direction of Drum Corps headed toward stage productions on the field.  Not saying one or the other is good or bad, but it's been the incremental push towards what we have on the field now, including the micing, speakers, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Pete Weber wrote the drill, but Gaines collaborated.   I mean two of the best combined....   Just remember to give Weber credit.  He is awesome!!!!

Oh sure.  I was unaware that Weber did it.

10 hours ago, Flguardman said:

Aren't all of today's scores the draw for San Antonio lineup!

No. I heard they will be determined by the outcome of three shows on the 15th. Alexandria, Dekalb, and Denver.

And who said you can't compare scores from different shows? DCI can, that's who. 

source: http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211439295&SPID=166025&SPSID=965782

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Screwy how?

agree...scratching my bed head...