Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

Regarding the Bluecoats and Jagged Edge - looking for jagged lines, props, movement, etc...

I honestly could care less about looking for a meaning in Bloo's show.  That's kind of the point of their production.  You don't need a program to understand a deeper meaning.   There really is none.  It's just pure entertainment.    If they toss in some obvious jagged lines, and find a way to levitate their huge prop with all 150 on it at the same time and fly jaggedly all over the field, great.      But I love the show the way it is.   I truly think that if you just enjoy the show for what it is without looking for a deeper meaning, formations, or even comparing to last year, you'll enjoy this great show a heck of a lot more.     It's still the show to beat in my opinion.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

Yes you can, you have to look closely, but it can be done.  It's not like judges only judge once, then aren't hired again, and it's not like they don't talk to each other.  There will be judges that judge the same corps again and it's human nature to have expectations from those other adjudications.

No you cannot. An 81.9 in Orlando doesn't mean an 81.9 in Minnesota or Seattle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

Nobody said that, stop making this some kind of pissing match and have a decent constructive conversation, rather than acting like someone else attacked your reason for living.

And you think you're going to get a decent conversation out of this? No, my friend. No. You obviously didn't get the point of my post. That everyone has issues right now. Everyone.

59 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

You are way off in your assumptions.

Way... Off.

It looks like you are trying to pin some sort of 'I told you so' narrative on a Bluecoat fan... I'm not sure why you picked me.  But none of my comments were written with the tone, slant or intent that you seem bent on receiving.

Bluecoats got beat... In GE. That's hard to do. Simple as that.

I don't care if the Bluecoats end up in 4th... Just don't care.

You should insert that tone and go back and read my comments again without your contemptuous presumptions (unintended as they may be)... If you care to be right.

Firstly, Bloo got beat by more than GE! and although I think GE is overly weighted, it is not that hard to do... nor should it be!

Secondly, and I am not interested in continuing this other than pointing out that your comments suggest you have a "tone" as well. Consider inserting it wherever you like!

Say what you mean, mean what you say!

1 hour ago, Northern Thunder said:

Pioneer has an entertaining product.  Congratulations to the members!!

Agreed!   Pio doesn't always get a lot of discussion, but really enjoy their show.   Marcher for marcher, they are getting a lot out of their production.   Looking forward to seeing them down the road.

• Like 1

Bluecoats usually start with music they like and that fits together stylistically and then build a visual theme that represents the qualities their tunes have in common. This year's music is edgy and very rhythmically syncopated with odd counts, cross rhythms, and changing (jagged) meters. Often the rhythms (jaggedly) are broken up across several sections of the ensemble.  They decided that "jagged edge" was a good description of the musical feel of the source material. Then they went and designed a viz package to have a big jagged stage, jagged drill and moves where things shimmy and move side to side to reinforce the idea. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Firstly, Bloo got beat by more than GE! and although I think GE is overly weighted, it is not that hard to do... nor should it be!

Secondly, and I am not interested in continuing this other than pointing out that your comments suggest you have a "tone" as well. Consider inserting it wherever you like!

Say what you mean, mean what you say!

Bluecoats get beat in everything else all the time.  I even said that in another post in this thread (that you apparently didn't read).  I also said that GE is the riskiest place to consistently put most of your winning points (as the Bluecoats do)... You apparently skipped that as well.

The only tone that you see in my comments is the one that you brought with you in your reading.

I'm sorry that the word "alternate" has been forever ruined for you... But I don't believe in politics, pop culture and popular opinion hijacking the English language... So I'll continue using the word for its meaning.  The GE judges, one in particular, had an alternative view from the past... That may very well continue (I also said that in another post that you may not have read).

When I said "the impossible"... It's merely a point that this (GE) is where the Bluecoats aren't strategically supposed to lose (they have held it for so long)... But there it is, done in by Vanguard, who were presumed by some to be in the running for 3rd or 4th.  Last time I checked, when someone does "the impossible" it's a credit to them, not a jab.

I also noted in another post that Bluecoats will probably need to focus some time on the brass, visual and guard proficiency parts of their program in order to keep competitive... You didn't catch that either.

I said what I meant... I meant what I said... And you are doing a disservice to Vanguard by turning my compliments into some sort of reverse psychological pretense.

I think Vanguard may very well keep this up... They broke through... Don't you think so?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

And SCV is a refresh of winning designs from 10+ years ago.  Gaines is quite simply one of the (if not the) most engaging drill writers in the history of drumcorps.  In a way, I'm glad to see SCV do well here as a vindication that 'new' design strategies aren't needed to win.

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

And SCV is a refresh of winning designs from 10+ years ago.  Gaines is quite simply one of the (if not the) most engagin drill writers in the history of drumcorps.  In a way, I'm glad to see SCV do well here as a vindication that 'new' design strategies aren't needed to win.

anyone else as amused as I?

LMAO

so telling...

41 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Regarding the Bluecoats and Jagged Edge - looking for jagged lines, props, movement, etc...

I honestly could care less about looking for a meaning in Bloo's show.  That's kind of the point of their production.  You don't need a program to understand a deeper meaning.   There really is none.  It's just pure entertainment.    If they toss in some obvious jagged lines, and find a way to levitate their huge prop with all 150 on it at the same time and fly jaggedly all over the field, great.      But I love the show the way it is.   I truly think that if you just enjoy the show for what it is without looking for a deeper meaning, formations, or even comparing to last year, you'll enjoy this great show a heck of a lot more.     It's still the show to beat in my opinion.

Totally agree! 

For some people, Jagged Line may not be their cup of tea. No biggy. That happens in this activity.  I find it interesting when people want to look for some deep meaning in the show. "Hey, there are no jagged lines in the horn drill, and the drumline is not doing a jagged step."  "I just can't enjoy this show now."

The entertainment aspect of Bloo is really simple. Great brass line playing great charts. Great percussion laying down some awesome grooves. Great guard providing a sense of style, action, and emotion to the show. Great staging, and simply great performance levels. Even if I hated the jagged stage (I do like it) I would have plenty to keep me entertained. 

Unfortunately when we argue over who should beat who we often begin to nitpick in order to prop one show up and put the other down. I am guilty of this, as are many of us. 

I stated this earlier and I will state it again, if Bloo is guilty of anything right now it's inconsistent performances. The show is great. It may not appeal to all, but I generally think most drum corps fans will enjoy it.  However, they have had consistency issues.  Consistency issues in performance, setup, electronics, etc. can cause a problem, but you are who you are. At least for now they are an inconsistent performing corps. That leaves them open to inconsistent scoring and to getting beat, even when you have the talent they have. Bluecoats fans should make no excuses today. Win or lose (and nobody really loses in drum corps) SCV beat Bloo fair and square. The reasons are not important.  The sun will rise and there will be more competitions.  Maybe Bloo bounces back. Maybe SCV is that good and ready to make a move for a title. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5