Phantom 2008

Will Pitts.

Still my favorite show ever - and I never even saw it live!  There was something about that show that was more than the sum of its parts.  It was transcendent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

One of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had was that night in Bloomington.  Sheer pandemonium in the crowd twice - during the show and at retreat.  Burned into my memory like yesterday.

Harvey

agreed. The most electric night I've ever experienced in DCI

• Like 2

After watching the quarterfinals performance (I think they were in 3rd) I turned to my daughter and said this is a championship show.  Probably the only time I've ever actually been right on a drum corps prediction.  I also predicted a Cavaliers win in '91, Phantom in '89, Cadets in '15, Cavaliers in '11, Crown in '15 (switched my prediction from Cadets), and so on and so on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Western Burger said:

Chills. Everytime.  I was out of the country when this happened.  When I came back, I had some friends that told me I needed to watch the video, but they didn't tell me anything else.  It was a fun moment experiencing that, and I can only imagine what it was like to be in the stands that day.

Probably my top live drum corps moment.  Lucky to have experienced it and get chills every time I listen to the recording.  That corps and that crowd were one.

Just awesome.

• Like 2

That was the year I got back into drum corp after years of not following it. I went to watch the quarterfinals at the movie theater,m I can't even rember exactly why. I had no idea about any of the shows. I distinctly remember multiple times during the show turning to my brother and saying "Holy ####, this show kicks a**!". When they were finished the entire theater gave a standing ovation. We were still recovering from PR's performance and I asked aloud "How is that show in third place?! Cavaliers and BD shows must be unreal!"

No offense to those shows, but they just didn't have the same impact. I, along with the rest of the fans, followed the drama of them climbing to 2nd in semis, then to 1st in finals. Phantom Regiment was my first corp I fell in love with, and they were the corp that brought me back into the activity. They are the corp that has the most personal favorite shows and favorite moments. 

What can I say, I just love me some Regiment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lanceengland
  • Like 3

I wrote off Phantom that year when I saw it in San Antonio.  It just wasn't working yet. But they worked really ####### hard and got that show to work. The next time I saw it was Allentown.  What a difference. When they killed Will Pitts I think I yelled "holy ####!" ( I was in full MM potty mouth mode).  I was in The stadium for scores the first two nights in Bloomington. The drama of score announcements was crazy. Then.. unfortunately my corps got booted out of finals. But fortunately I got to experience my first finals live. The whole stadium was electric all night. By the end of Crown I didn't think it could get any crazier. Then Phantom started coming onto to the field. Talk about setting the mood and setting up a story. The crowd was on fire.  That corps let the crowd in. The connection between the corps and audience was nuts. I've never been a part of anything like that since. You couldn't even hear the corps on the field for at least the last 30 seconds. 

Then retreat. Score announcements were brutal to get through. That place went absolutely ape #### when BD was announced in second. I didn't believe it. I thought BD also threw down that night and there was no way. But it was just enough. 

What an experience. It was almost the perfect end to what was an awesome rookie year (minus not making finals). 

• Like 2