First student marching

I have also sent students to march corps (Madison, Guardsmen, Colts, Blue Knights, etc.).  

• Like 4

This world needs more teachers like you.

I saw my first show because my director played it on a projector in band camp my freshman year. I would later march that corps for 3 seasons while he was a judge. I got an awesome opportunity when he put his head in my bell at my first Minnesota regional, I don't know if he realized it was me at the time but he made a good comment on the tape and that was awesome.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

This world needs more teachers like you.

This site needs more threads like this one.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ms.L said:

I never marched.  Back in the late 70's, I remember my band director saying that he wanted to take us to a drum corps show.  I had no idea what it was, just knew it had something to do with marching.  I fell in love with DCI that night.  I played clarinet and was incredibly uncoordinated so auditioning for a corps never occurred to me.  I regret that somewhat. I had a few years when I wasn't as involved although I loved the PBS and ESPN years.  Where ever I taught, I always introduced my students to corps through championship videos. Most of them had never heard of it.  Now, many years later, I have a former student marching his first year.  He is like a son but is also a friend. Tomorrow, I get to sit in the stands and watch him and his corps take their home field in Rockford after a very emotional and exhausting week.  I'll watch him march on the field, and pursue his dream of marching in DCI, all the while remembering when I first introduced him to the activity and when I took him to his first show. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry like a baby.

Sorry this is so long and emotional.  I just needed to share with people who might 'get' it.
Thank you!

As someone who didn't march either and that is about to enter the same profession I really really really hope/look forward to this kind of moment of getting to see my future students do amazing things........as long as I hopefully have a small part in helping prepare them for something like this activity.   

I got to show the 6th grade beginners some shows along with a BK alum this past  Spring and watching their faces light up was an awesome thing to see.  

Thanks for sharing.  :)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

As someone who didn't march either and that is about to enter the same profession I really really really hope/look forward to this kind of moment of getting to see my future students do amazing things........as long as I hopefully have a small part in helping prepare them for something like this activity.   

I got to show the 6th grade beginners some shows along with a BK alum this past  Spring and watching their faces light up was an awesome thing to see.  

Thanks for sharing.  :)

You're welcome.

You are going to be a great teacher.  I just know it.  :-)

• Like 2

Enjoy.  It is a big night for your student...and for you too.  (Deservedly so)  Over my career I had students march with 9 different corps.  Got the same thrill every time I saw them in uniform.   Cost me a few bucks to buy shirts/hats from each corps, but I know the kids got a kick out of seeing me wear them back home.

• Like 3