Rockford Files - Show of Shows

Vanguard had some dropped equipment, and trouble a couple of times with their props falling down and not getting back up. (Some horn members rushed over each time to right them.)

I can't speak as an expert the way many of you can. But I wouldn't call what I saw and heard from Blooo a really rough run. I thought they were very good, and am not surprised they topped SCV. I think Vanguard has the better show. It's different - on its own and for Vanguard. Bluecoats have a great show, but there's much that has the same feels as last year. The leg moves from Blooo - some form of them a holdover from 2016 and done very effectively this year - are going to get old sometime.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Haha. Basically that's it. Of course, gaps can change a lot on a given night with judges, but a group like SCV has been doing very well with much higher content numbers all season . In this case, I think it says that this show has legs and it's up to mm and staff to make sure it gets maxed out.  Having seen everyone now. I think SCV has the most potential upside, IF they can get performance high enough by the end. 

I just hope they can medal this year--that would be absolutely fantastic!  At the very least, it seems like they've been consistent on Brass, Guard, and Percussion--they have a serious chance to nab all three caption trophies by the end of the season.

Vanguard has got to figure out GE if they want to have a hope. A .8 spread from Coats in GE caption alone, that's like the judges saying they aren't in the same league as far as effect. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

But I wouldn't call what I saw and heard from Blooo a really rough run.

Well, I've seen every show either live or recording, some many different recordings of the same show, including most practice ensemble runs since Denison. That was one of their roughest ones. A rough field and very windy night made for a very tough listening environment, which is Bloo's biggest challenge this year (see: psychopomp soli tear with drumline). On top of that, the ENTIRE ballad solo was muted due to a technical glitch. Not making excuses, just telling it like it is. We'll be back at it tomorrow!

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

Vanguard has got to figure out GE if they want to have a hope. A .8 spread from Coats in GE caption alone, that's like the judges saying they aren't in the same league as far as effect. 

That's the Achilles heel for them. They were running .6 behind BD in GE last they met. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

That's the Achilles heel for them. They were running .6 behind BD in GE last they met. 

I'm afraid that once the top six all meet up, the GE scores will clutter up and push SCV even farther behind. Hopefully as achievement cleans up to match content, judges will reward them for more effect. Otherwise, something's gotta change

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

I'm afraid that once the top six all meet up, the GE scores will clutter up and push SCV even farther behind. Hopefully as achievement cleans up to match content, judges will reward them for more effect. Otherwise, something's gotta change

I think the entire top 6 will be VERY crowded this year.  Honestly, imo, the (current) top six ALL have championship shows.  Its just too crowded this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

I think the entire top 6 will be VERY crowded this year.  Honestly, imo, the (current) top six ALL have championship shows.  Its just too crowded this year.

I'm lovin' it too! Makes for an interesting season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Might very well be the first year in awhile where more than 2 corps legitimately have a chance to win gold come finals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mboogey73 said:

Might very well be the first year in awhile where more than 2 corps legitimately have a chance to win gold come finals. 

IMO, we had three gold medal shows last year. 

• Like 1