Emerald City Music Games - Dublin, OH - Jul 31

33 minutes ago, insideout said:

I'm reading the thread on scoring to try to better understand this. I would think it would be more fair if a judge were to watch the previous show to disseminate the show they are judging to see what changes were implemented. Then again maybe they do. I don't know. All I know is last night was Cascades best performance and to be knocked down made zero sense to me. 

I am quite surprised at how little corps/dci to judges communication there appears to be during the season. I realize you have to be very careful about this, but it seems as if it would benefit all of the corps if dci helped to at least make show content details and changes accessible to the judges. Corps can choose to communicate whatever they want, or nothing at all, but at least judges would know, hey Cascades changed their sixth block to better accommodate illness, or transition, or sound. I may look to see how that change worked live.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I am quite surprised at how little corps/dci to judges communication there appears to be during the season. I realize you have to be very careful about this, but it seems as if it would benefit all of the corps if dci helped to at least make show content details and changes accessible to the judges. Corps can choose to communicate whatever they want, or nothing at all, but at least judges would know, hey Cascades changed their sixth block to better accommodate illness, or transition, or sound. I may look to see how that change worked live.

The only thing that I am aware of that they announced was changing the ending/unveiling in San Antonio, which they did. Other than that, I don't know if anything else has been released. Not just with the Cascades but also other corps.

The 2017 season is high in quality very deep into the rankings. Some very good productions will not be seen that Saturday night. Kinda sad, but there are only so many spots open above. I know I'm planning to watch everyone.

• Like 3

Insideout...my advise, based on 40+ years of following DCI...is don't waist your time trying to figure out scoring from night to night.  It can be confusing even with the corps sitting in the top positions.  Sunday night the Bluecoats score moved up a WHOPPING 0.025 points.  Last night in Dublin it was up 1.30 points.  You just never know!

I can tell you this...When Cascades finished their show my wife and I were on our feet and said if the rest of the night is that good we got our $$$ worth!!!  I was so impressed with Cascades, Oregon Crusaders, Colts, Pacific Crest...all corps who will most likely not make the top 12, but WOW did they deliver last night.

There's just nothing like drum corps in August.  All of the corps in the bottom half (scoring wise) of World Class have stepped up their games over the past few years.  I personally think the judges numbers have yet to catch up with the improved quality.  A 70 today might be yesterday's (decade or two ago) 80.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The 2017 season is high in quality very deep into the rankings. Some very good productions will not be seen that Saturday night. Kinda sad, but there are only so many spots open above. I know I'm planning to watch everyone.

Yep!  That's why we make it a point in Indy to see those Corps who won't be playing past Prelims.  So many great shows that won't be performed again. 

• Like 1

Nice job last night by the folks in Dublin.  Looked to me to be a good crowd on hand.  Did you set any attendance record? 

Many positives...

+ on the wonderful performances presented by ALL corps!!!!
+ on the food trucks
+ on having LaRosa's pizza
+ on the preshow entertainment
+ on ticket prices - $105 for 3 is very fair
+ on organization
+ on facility

Suggested improvements...

- programs (bring back printed programs...will gladly pay)
- please have your ushers make sure no one enters the stands DURING a performance
- no offense to any other corps, but would be nice if the defending World Champion from OHIO had done the encore.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Insideout...my advise, based on 40+ years of following DCI...is don't waist your time trying to figure out scoring from night to night.  It can be confusing even with the corps sitting in the top positions.  Sunday night the Bluecoats score moved up a WHOPPING 0.025 points.  Last night in Dublin it was up 1.30 points.  You just never know.

It can be particularly inconsistent for the corps that goes on first--as the Cascades did.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the judges kind of have to lay down a number for the first corps from which the following corps get compared to.  How they pick that first number is a judgment call.

On the Dublin recap, there were a few judges whose names I'm less familiar with and haven't seen on too many sheets this season.

But, also looking at the Cascades scoring history, it was the Visual Proficiency score that dropped the most.  But, the previous score was unusually high.

Sometimes when corps make changes, the new parts are dirtier than the rest of the show and it can take a few shows for the changes to pay off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

It can be particularly inconsistent for the corps that goes on first--as the Cascades did.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the judges kind of have to lay down a number for the first corps from which the following corps get compared to.  How they pick that first number is a judgment call.

On the Dublin recap, there were a few judges whose names I'm less familiar with and haven't seen on too many sheets this season.

But, also looking at the Cascades scoring history, it was the Visual Proficiency score that dropped the most.  But, the previous score was unusually high.

Sometimes when corps make changes, the new parts are dirtier than the rest of the show and it can take a few shows for the changes to pay off.

I am assuming every show has judges who see things differently, but as far as I know there were no real changes between the GA show and the Dublin show. The kids felt this was their best show, I thought so too, but that was based off a periscope. Also, they finally had floor time and full sleep which they hadn't had in a while due to the swamp tour. Overall, they felt better and more rested. You would think that was part of the reasons they performed better in Dublin.

Edited by insideout

19 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

Crossmen and Blue Stars continue to be nearly tied.  But, after several shows where I was doubtful about Crossmen percussion, they turned in a good score.

drum scores last night are highly suspect, not sure I buy them at all

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

I am sure you realize in quiet reflection that it is not just the practicing that leads to increased scores but the type on instruction and type of practicing that leads to increased scores. Doing the same mistake over and over does not increase the score.

BDB and SCVC are both corps with a large stable of experienced techs who can be called upon to clean a show on tour. Some of the other corps you mention have well meaning faculties but not necessarily either the experience or success at improving shows and thus improving scores. It's not always the judges' fault.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I preferred before the rule changed and let Open class compete in World finals. I would love exhibitions and inclusion but it seems unfair to the corps that do a full World tour with all the associated  rigors, injuries and costs.  On the other hand, maybe this extra competition contributes to the massive improvements we are seeing in corps like  OC, PC, Mandarin's, Cascades, Academy, Pioneer, and Jersey Surf and the activity overall.  

• Like 1