Mics on the field to amp the whole corps vs the pit or a soloist. Need some perspective

Totally agree with the gentleman's description and concerns!

Micing the entire line is BAD for the reputation and integrity of DCI competition. This has always been considered the epitome of marching music prowess, human mastery of the instrument.  Trickery, of this sort, is acceptance of "FAKE" achievement. It's no different than Olympic athletes on performance enhancing drugs, race horse doping, greased baseballs, artificial sweetener, and illegal golf balls.

Dear DCI Board of Directors -

KNOCK IT OFF !

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

:worthy: Well said Bama Boy.

Used to be like going to an LSU vs Alabama football game, now it's like attending a Golf or Tennis match. 

Good one, Bayou Buddy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dream Theater said:

Hi everyone,

Been watching corps since 92 and haven't missed seeing at least one west coast show. Despite my lack of posts a few on here can vouch for my knowledge and understanding. I've had the pleasure of seeing 3 world championships 2004, 2006, 2007 and I wanted to get a consensus on something I saw, to my knowledge, for the first time. It was seeing about 5-8 mics on the front sideline of the field to amplify the entire corps. I know we have all had many discussions with pros, cons and different P.O.V.'s, but I must say I lost something watching things this year and wanted to just get everyone's personal though good or bad on this new direction. This isn't a discussion on who is using them its a discussion on that they are and what you think about it. For me I really didn't understand the need to amp the whole corps(horns/drums). I can understand the need to bring forth the sound of a soloist or even use technology to make instruments sound different (aka Cavaliers Tuba's and Blue Knights Snare solo). My issue was that I was not feeling the corps through their natural sound and I was hearing it either mixed or primarily through speakers. Have we gotten to a point where we only need a small group of horns and a huge color guard cause the corps is going to be amp'd anyways?  Should I feel the need to go to a live show when it will sound the same through my awesome home stereo system via YouTube? I'm a bit conflicted on this and this is why I have started the thread. Hoping to get some different point of views to understand what I am feeling in a different way. 

I will keep my comments brief for now.

I personally have always liked acoustic drum corps best.  That said, I do not have a problem with an entire brass or battery line being amplified for an effect as I'm all for the new experimentation.  That is as long as it is for an effect ONLY.  Where it crosses the line for me is when this effect instead becomes more of a norm in the entire performance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Good one, Bayou Buddy!

Are you from the State of Alarammerjammerbammer and now living in Pennsylvania or from Pennsylvania and attended UA? 

I don't understand why corps think this is a good idea. I hope people keep vocal on this issue, cause I personally agree with all the points Tim Hinton brings up. It just makes corps' look un-confident and the experience feel cheap imo.

• Like 2

I agree this should be an ongoing discussion ... but when Bluecoats mic their hornline in their ballad it is to create an effect. It can be argued the effect isn't worth the amplification ... that is a separate discussion ... but I think having a continuing dialogue on the subject is both worthwhile and warranted. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

Are you from the State of Alarammerjammerbammer and now living in Pennsylvania or from Pennsylvania and attended UA? 

Lifetime Pennsylvanian here. Attended PA schools (Millersville, Temple, and Lehigh). Bama fan since 1964 when Joe Namath was recruited out of Pennsylvania. Have attended several SEC games in person, especially in Tuscaloosa.  Haven't done Tiger Stadium yet . . . I'm afraid to be doused with beer and beaten up!

But, back on topic - we ARE seeing too many changes, coming too fast, in drum corps. Much of it positive. The micing expansion thing is very concerning, however.

Why bother to go to live event. Just stay home listen to it on tv.

Just think how much money the corps could save.  They stay home and every time they want to enter a contest they make a recording and submit it. Even the judges could judge from their lazy boy and submit the score sheets by email. At the end of the season there is a big live event to determine the winner. Millions saved. 

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 1

At first, I saw my favorite group do this and was so upset. After debating it internally, I think I'm most upset that it was done poorly, not because of what was being done.

If you can do it well and it enhances the fan's experience, I'm all for it. However, I don't think we're at that point yet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I agree this should be an ongoing discussion ... but when Bluecoats mic their hornline in their ballad it is to create an effect. It can be argued the effect isn't worth the amplification ... that is a separate discussion but I think having a continuing dialogue on the subject is both worthwhile and warranted. 

I instantly thought of 02 cavaliers with this in Indy. When they turned around and were louder than they were just playing towards the audience. It was totally unexpected and a great effect. If I remember right on the tapes the GE judges LOVED it. I don't think Bluecoats should be using the mics for it but it's still a cool effect anyways.

• Like 1