Southeastern Championships Atlanta Venue

I know that the Georgia Dome is history and the Falcons new Mothership Stadium isn't ready, but does anybody know why DCI (They don't answer e-mail's) chose to have one of the Major Shows of the Summer in a high school stadium? 

What about Grant Field at nearby Georgia Tech or at UGA in Athens? There's no football going on at either in July.  

Edited by LSU GRAD 82

They may have tried and were unable to get those venues. We have no idea of knowing how many options they tried. I'm sure a lot of thought was put into this and ultimately they went with a high school field. 

As much as I'd love to see a show in Georgia Tech or UGA, both of these stadiums have grass fields, which are not at all ideal for today's shows, much less for a major regional like the DCI Southeastern Championship. I'd also note that neither venue has sufficient room for warming up/parking, and that the stadium at GT hosts a MLS team that plays there in the summer.

Now, the stadium at McEachern High is no slouch of a stadium—it's quite big, pretty comparable to a Texas high school stadium in terms of home side stands. It also has hosted an annual BOA regional, and was the original site of the Atlanta show before it got moved to the Georgia Dome.

Finally, in all fairness, not every corps will perform in the Southeastern Championship; 6 of them will instead perform at the show the next day in Winston-Salem, NC for their regional scores.

1 hour ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

I know that the Georgia Dome is history and the Falcons new Mothership Stadium isn't ready, but does anybody know why DCI (They don't answer e-mail's) chose to have one of the Major Shows of the Summer in a high school stadium? 

What about Grant Field at nearby Georgia Tech or at UGA in Athens? There's no football going on at either in July.  

The corps director for SoA is the music director at Tech and percussion caption head is percussion director at UGA and neither field was available...uncertain on specifics as to why. 

Georgia Tech's stadium isn't available the day of a regionals because Atlanta United has a home game that day. UGA's stadium is currently undergoing renovations. 

With 100% of the concert side seats sold three weeks before the show this could turn into a nightmare for spectators.   Restrooms and concession stands will be crowded and parking will be difficult to find.   How  is DCI going to keep corps staff's and volunteers out of the sold seats?   How is DCI going to keep the general admission ticket people out of concert side?    Your front side ticket is going to be priceless.   Flomarching is the answer for those you don't have tickets yet.

Just now, Polonius said:

and what are the chances of rain?

jinx!

It'll probably rain all day now that the event is outdoors. Of course, that was rarely the case when it was at the Dome.

There are several small shows in Alabama near the time of the SE regional.  Less than two hours away is Auburn University the largest video screen in college football.  I wonder if they considered that venue? There is also Birminghm which previously hosted DCI finals in the 80s. 

12 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Now, the stadium at McEachern High is no slouch of a stadium—it's quite big, pretty comparable to a Texas high school stadium in terms of home side stands. It also has hosted an annual BOA regional, and was the original site of the Atlanta show before it got moved to the Georgia Dome.

I have marched at that stadium.  It is incredible, I was very glad to hear they were hosting the regional there as opposed to some other rinky-dink replacement.