DCI Orlando - July 8, 2017

Just now, oldsoprano said:

I aged out in 1979, and as much fun as that year was, my favorite year to march was actually 1978. Having finished 23rd in our first year in 1977, no one was expecting much from us in 1978, and they certainly weren't expecting what hit them, especially early in the season. Jim Ott had been telling the hornline all spring that we were in for an amazing summer, but I don't think we really believed him until about the second show of the season in Cedarburg.

When you go from 23rd to 6th it catches EVERYONE'S attention. And that's when my brother, who was marching at Jax State with some Spirit members decided..."Yea...I want a piece of THIS!" We had the '78 Finals on vinyl....until we finally wore the grooves off of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

When you go from 23rd to 6th it catches EVERYONE'S attention. And that's when my brother, who was marching at Jax State with some Spirit members decided..."Yea...I want a piece of THIS!" We had the '78 Finals on vinyl....until we finally wore the grooves off of it. 

taking a trip down memory lane today...nice

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

We're fortunate to have Freddy Martin and his son Michael on The Cavaliers' brass staff.  

Freddy started me on trumpet in the 6th grade his first year out of college, and was my band director the next six years, then my corps director the following three years. I was sitting with him at Spirit's rehearsal yesterday and we were talking about how far back we go. When I was voted into the Spirit of Atlanta Hall of Fame earlier this year and they asked me who I wanted to do my introduction at the HOF banquet a couple of weeks ago, it was obvious to me that it HAD to be Freddy. Not much I wouldn't do for that man.

• Like 6

Good run for the percussion and brass. It was not the guards night a lot of drops!! But the ending burning at the stake allusion was wonderful 

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

Right on the button.  Relo from MA.  We are called ma&&holes up here in New Hampster.

The Granite State. Solid as a rock.

or something like that.. lol!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldsoprano said:

Freddy started me on trumpet in the 6th grade his first year out of college, and was my band director the next six years, then my corps director the following three years. I was sitting with him at Spirit's rehearsal yesterday and we were talking about how far back we go. When I was voted into the Spirit of Atlanta Hall of Fame earlier this year and they asked me who I wanted to do my introduction at the HOF banquet a couple of weeks ago, it was obvious to me that it HAD to be Freddy. Not much I wouldn't do for that man.

Making it into one's drum corps hall of fame is a major accomplishment.  My sincere congratulations to you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flguardman said:

But the ending burning at the stake allusion was wonderful 

Boston was going to put this in last nite, but decided to do so tonite.