Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I disagree, and we're not going to agree, so I'll leave it at that. 

I find both the shows of the 80s/90s and the 2000's to be equal in quality in regards to musical phrasing, musicianship, and enjoyment. 

But again, I doubt we're gonna ever agree on that. 

Granted that you may indeed find edification in the brass/percussion sounds of many DCI shows today.  But it is akin to someone being enlightened by Free Form Jazz; it only appeals to a very narrow range of listeners.  And the designers of DCI need to be careful as they continue to progress in this manner.

I have an idea. Let's get DCI to add a straight up "Baby Throwing" caption. Corps score in the caption by sending the audience into a frenzy and have them throwing babies and anything else they get their hands on. Now some might say "BD is the most hated corps so that caption will be their demise". Yea not so much. Why? If i started a thread on the top 5 accusations BD gets thrown their way, playing to the sheets would be in the top 5. We hear it year after year. So this is why the Baby throwing caption is perfect. Since BD plays to the sheets like the haters say they do, once that caption is added, BD will go out and design a show that maxes out this caption, and they will make you throw your baby just as far as any corps in the business, since they play to the sheets. And with that, BD stays on top and continues to dominate, and we will never have to see threads like this ever again. Everyone wins.  Do it up Devils!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, afd said:

Enough. I'm out of here. Like I've said. It's justs gets old. I've heard it year after year. It's a broken record. 

You do not have to read or listen to those on DCP; you are afflicting this this pain onto yourself on your own accord.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

it only appeals to a very narrow range of listeners.  

Again, I find this to be a very baseless assertion. Perhaps the people who you are close to and talk to are just as unhappy as you are with today's DCI, but don't confound that as the views of most fans. This activity would be on its last breath after 10+ years of the direction that you are complaining about due to loss of fans, and yet, it's not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I take issue with your implication that these corps are doing a disservice to EVERYONE with their show design decisions. Stop. 

There is absolutely no evidence that a majority of DCI fans are unhappy with the direction of today's shows. Especially among the newer generation of DCI fans who much prefer modern day DCI to old. 

Maybe they're doing a disservice to you, and some of the others who share your views. But don't speak for everyone.

I have never, and will never, speak for everyone.  Evaluating the music arranging differences between the 80's and 90's (where the music was written with respect to melody and musical phrasing and equally married to the visual) and post-Y2K (where the sound is mainly arranged and dictated solely by the visual motion) is not a matter of opinion but of score study.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Again, I find this to be a very baseless assertion. Perhaps the people who you are close to and talk to are just as unhappy as you are with today's DCI, but don't confound that as the views of most fans. This activity would be on its last breath after 10+ years of the direction that you are complaining about due to loss of fans, and yet, it's not.

The cost of tour and production is increasing exponentially each season while most corps struggle to find more revenue to counter the rise in expenditures; the fan base is stagnate; the artistic direction over the last decade or so to 'progress and enlighten' us has failed to increase the fan base; the G7 proposal was a reaction to all of these elements out of concern for their own survival; DCI is now in a state of morphing identity which is a situation that is very risky;... need I continue, or is this all baseless stuff for my concern?

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

My question to you is this: Why aren't the show designers of today providing all of this with a more respectful attitude concerning comprehensible musical melody and musical phrasing; why sacrifice understandable music composition elements and replace it with runs, chords, and impacts which are completely and utterly dictated by the almighty visual art form?

The almighty visual art from is mandated by the almightier judging standards. Whatever artistic or musical merit a show aspires to, it is designed ultimately to generate points as dictated by the current scoring system. I too disdain the Cuisinart musical style of modern drum corp arranging (I find Crown's opener this year a particularly egregious example), but as long as it gets rewarded competitively, we are stuck with it. If you want a more musical experience, you have to start with changing the judging sheets. 

Just now, quietcity said:

The almighty visual art from is mandated by the almightier judging standards. Whatever artistic or musical merit a show aspires to, it is designed ultimately to generate points as dictated by the current scoring system. I too disdain the Cuisinart musical style of modern drum corp arranging (I find Crown's opener this year a particularly egregious example), but as long as it gets rewarded competitively, we are stuck with it. If you want a more musical experience, you have to start with changing the judging sheets. 

Ahhhhh.. but the judging standards are actually dictated by the corps themselves; DCI is not an independent body with independent adjudicators. Nope, DCI is the voting corps who dictate the design judging standards to the adjudicators; then they (the corps) turn around and have those same adjudicators evaluate them by their own (the corps) design definitions.  Thus we in the audience are at the mercy of the direction the design teams, who for the past decade or so want to 'educate us in progressing art' as opposed to 'entertaining us with high quality performance'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

the fan base is stagnate; 

Where are you getting your numbers from? I'd love to see it.