Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not just about drill anymore. it's staging, setting everything up for the moments.

And my million dollar question has always been why? Why has gone this route?  The expert call it  staging but I will tell you as a fan it looks a lot more like clutter ...

Just now, Triple Forte said:

And my million dollar question has always been why? Why has gone this route?  The expert call it  staging but I will tell you as a fan it looks a lot more like clutter ...

That depends on how well it is done.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

It's the way it's gone. We have seen run and gun, slow ballad drill you name it. As shows become more thematic it's like setting the stage in a play or movie scene. Everyone raves about Bloo last year, and they did it. The complaint for BD is too many don't get the concept and don't want to dig deep to get it. 14-16 you didn't have to and it was more loved. And 15 took all season to grow. What has helped BD is the music has been more melodic and flowed better 

50 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I bit my tongue long enough...

<grammer nazi>

It's FEWER! Not "less fans!" FEWER fans.

</grammer nazi>

(Phew. I feel better now)

You are correct. There are fewer fans. :muahaha:

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

It's gone that route, largely, because it is broadening the reach of the activity beyond those who are only or mostly interested in the technical drill and charts of the playing membership. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

... Overall numbers may be down because there are fewer shows over the course of a season then back in the day,...

That is it. That is what, and all, I am saying about shows and numbers in attendance. Nothing more. It is not flawed math to state that overall numbers in attendance for drum corps events are down when compared to the number of corps and number of shows there were back in the day.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's the way it's gone. We have seen run and gun, slow ballad drill you name it. As shows become more thematic it's like setting the stage in a play or movie scene. Everyone raves about Bloo last year, and they did it. The complaint for BD is too many don't get the concept and don't want to dig deep to get it. 14-16 you didn't have to and it was more loved. And 15 took all season to grow. What has helped BD is the music has been more melodic and flowed better 

I might, might, suggest that the challenges from Crown and Bluecoats have had something to do with Blue Devils' shift away from the more esoteric, technical aspects of show design.

Edited by MikeRapp

3 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Drill based visual also has a complicated impact on the music design in that visually exciting drill formations often put the musicians in a less than optimal position for volume and sound balance. The staging trend has been driven by a desired musical effect as well as visual.