Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

6 minutes ago, mrk said:

Conceded. Not sure what my concession to this point has to do with our original difference of opinion, but I'm happy to admit I agree with your last two posts in this thread!

Our disagreement then is in the probable 'motivation' of the designers in why they believe there is a need to place out all of that pre-season pre-show information for public consumption.

By the way, I am done posting in another thread; but did read more of it after I quit.  A public thank you goes out to your reasoning behind stating that you donated because of my positions on the matter.  For what it is worth, I have respect for why you donated and for also clarifying matters in that posting.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 6:54 PM, Stu said:

Maybe I have not made myself clear.  I think that the DCI designers really do think they are entertaining the audience by attempting to  'enlighten' them.  Which is an academic mentality not a commercial mentality.  And I would venture to say that the youth performers want that education but the majority of the audience does not.

I'll disagree. if they are trying to enlighten anyone, it's the judging community

• Like 1

I know this is old but where were all these people when one of the toughest shows ever performed finished 2nd in 2008.  I loved the Spartacus show but it simply didn't compare to BD in terms of difficulty.

I guess I am just sick and tired of the BD hate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'll disagree. if they are trying to enlighten anyone, it's the judging community

Ahhhh…. that explains it then.  Since the design concepts are apparently so deep that the likes of Carlson, Howell, Rothe, Bell, Wernhoff, Stone, Jones, Davis, Gray, Kelly, Waymire, and Fugett are required to be educated and enlightened by the design teams to gain understanding, that sure as shootin’ explains the massive disconnect most corps have had with the paying public in the stands!  So, thank you.

Edited by Stu

27 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

I know this is old but where were all these people when one of the toughest shows ever performed finished 2nd in 2008.  I loved the Spartacus show but it simply didn't compare to BD in terms of difficulty.

I guess I am just sick and tired of the BD hate.

In 2008 BD took first in the Visual captions; but with the exception of Brass they took second in Music GE, took fourth in Music Ensemble, and fifth in Percussion. Just because a corps plays music the difficulty of 'The Black Page' does not guarantee first place based on difficulty alone. It has to also be played cleaner and better than the music performed by the other corps.

Edited by Stu

I think the problem is when other corps play just as clean and well AND add the difficulty of moving and don't get the score that's the issue.

8 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I think the problem is when other corps play just as clean and well AND add the difficulty of moving and don't get the score that's the issue.

You don't get credit for a higher difficulty of moving if you aren't moving well/cleanly.

The content and achievement subcaption are intertwined. The cleaner you get, the more content a judge is able to see and give credit for. But if it isn't clean, the content will score will also be lower. 

BAC 2014 had one of the hardest visual programs of that year, but they scored 8th in visual content. It's how the judging system goes

On 7/26/2017 at 6:54 PM, Stu said:

Maybe I have not made myself clear.  I think that the DCI designers really do think they are entertaining the audience by attempting to  'enlighten' them.  Which is an academic mentality not a commercial mentality.  And I would venture to say that the youth performers want that education but the majority of the audience does not.

Isn't the majority of the audience comprised of future, former or current youth performers (plus a few family and friends)? One of the primary goals of a corps production is to attract the top recruits for the following years. Top recruits = college aged music/fine arts majors who want top level dci experience on their resume. The corps' that impress this segment of the audience will gain competitive talent advantage in years to come. If drum corps were to adopt a completely commercial mentality for entertaining a true general audience, I imagine there would be a lot more vocals and synth, less extended horn phrases and drill, and more pop culture style, fashion, attitude and sexuality... it would become more like a low budget super bowl halftime show. I'd personally rather have a few overly artsy shows that attempt to stretch an audiences imagination (and occasionally miss the mark) than ones that overly pander to a pop culture "give the public what they want" mentality.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Isn't the majority of the audience comprised of future, former or current youth performers (plus a few family and friends)? One of the primary goals of a corps production is to attract the top recruits for the following years. Top recruits = college aged music/fine arts majors who want top level dci experience on their resume. The corps' that impress this segment of the audience will gain competitive talent advantage in years to come. If drum corps were to adopt a completely commercial mentality for entertaining a true general audience, I imagine there would be a lot more vocals and synth, less extended horn phrases and drill, and more pop culture style, fashion, attitude and sexuality... it would become more like a low budget super bowl halftime show. I'd personally rather have a few overly artsy shows that attempt to stretch an audiences imagination (and occasionally miss the mark) than ones that overly pander to a pop culture "give the public what they want" mentality.  

Yes!  Nicely expressed.

I'd like to add that an audience member could also be a fine arts educated person who discovered drum corps along the way, as maybe a friend or family member of an MM, and long after that connection ended, remained steadfast in their fandom!

And I appreciate being edified.  I enjoy 'figuring shows out' and even having to do a little research to do so.  If the bulk of drum corps ever begins pandering to pop culture - I'm out.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

If drum corps were to adopt a completely commercial mentality for entertaining a true general audience, I imagine there would be a lot more vocals and synth, less extended horn phrases and less drill, and more pop culture style, fashion, attitude and sexuality.

Hmmmmm... nope.... we certainly are not hearing or seeing any of those becoming more prevalent in recent DCI shows........ nope....... not at all....

• Like 1