Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

You don't get credit for a higher difficulty of moving if you aren't moving well/cleanly.

The content and achievement subcaption are intertwined. The cleaner you get, the more content a judge is able to see and give credit for. But if it isn't clean, the content will score will also be lower. 

BAC 2014 had one of the hardest visual programs of that year, but they scored 8th in visual content. It's how the judging system goes

But that isn't what I said.  If everything is equal and one is standing still and the other isn't the difficulty should be getting credit in a build up system.  That is the issue.

20 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Yes!  Nicely expressed.

I'd like to add that an audience member could also be a fine arts educated person who discovered drum corps along the way, as maybe a friend or family member of an MM, and long after that connection ended, remained steadfast in their fandom!

And I appreciate being edified.  I enjoy 'figuring shows out' and even having to do a little research to do so.  If the bulk of drum corps ever begins pandering to pop culture - I'm out.

Nobody that I know of, not even me, wants to 'deny' any fine arts educated people from experiencing enjoyment through DCI performances.  If someone hears Triumph of Time and wants to investigate it further, great!!! However, edifying the audience should not be the 'main focus' within the designs of the show construction as it applies to audience engagement (see the increasing problem of audience disconnect DCI is currently trying to rectify). And to think that the majority of people in the stands are fine arts intellectuals is, well, a trip into la la land.  Most people in the stands who went to college were not Music/Arts Majors; and if they were exposed to music/arts it was likely by taking music and/or art appreciation classes as electives; they paid for that boredom then, and they likely do not want to pay for another music/art appreciation course when they attend a DCI show.

Also, couldn't the same 'pandering' accusation be applied to shows constructed for the cerebral minded intellectuals who derive enjoyment out of needing to research design content? And, by using the phrase 'pandering to pop culture', don't you see how that screams of the academic ivory tower mentality which is driving much of the audience disconnect?

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hmmmmm... nope.... we certainly are not hearing or seeing any of those becoming more prevalent in recent DCI shows........ nope....... not at all....

:lle:

Stu... I enjoy reading your responses.. I think one of the best comments was this....from another thread. ......

..."that is why today many shows have a ‘sound’ like this: Pit builds with Synth goo into fast playing, Brass Impact, Pit again, Brass Impact, another Brass Impact, Pit, Brass Chord, Battery plays their ditties,, Brass Impact, add in fast Pit to the fast Battery, add Brass fast playing on top going into a Brass Chord with much Synth goo, Full ensemble Impact, Full Ensemble Impact, Brass Chord decrescendo, and so forth.  Why?  Because even though the sound phrasing is disjunctive, and there is very little understandable melodic content, again the ‘sound’ is there in order to fulfill the real purpose which is enhancing the artistic movement and visual phrasing counts....."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3PoC said:

Isn't the majority of the audience comprised of future, former or current youth performers (plus a few family and friends)?

Yes; but very few of them are academic artistic intellectuals who seek higher forms of edification concerning the progression of art when buying DCI tickets and sit in the stands while eating hotdogs and drinking soda.

Edited by Stu

4 minutes ago, StarOrg said:

:lle:

Stu... I enjoy reading your responses.. I think one of the best comments was this....from another thread. ......

..."that is why today many shows have a ‘sound’ like this: Pit builds with Synth goo into fast playing, Brass Impact, Pit again, Brass Impact, another Brass Impact, Pit, Brass Chord, Battery plays their ditties,, Brass Impact, add in fast Pit to the fast Battery, add Brass fast playing on top going into a Brass Chord with much Synth goo, Full ensemble Impact, Full Ensemble Impact, Brass Chord decrescendo, and so forth.  Why?  Because even though the sound phrasing is disjunctive, and there is very little understandable melodic content, again the ‘sound’ is there in order to fulfill the real purpose which is enhancing the artistic movement and visual phrasing counts....."

Thank you :hehe:

9 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

But that isn't what I said.  If everything is equal and one is standing still and the other isn't the difficulty should be getting credit in a build up system.  That is the issue.

im sorry but how can everything be equal if one is standing still and the other isn't? 

Not understanding what you're trying to say 

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nobody that I know of, not even me, wants to 'deny' any fine arts educated people from experiencing enjoyment through DCI performances.  If someone hears Triumph of Time and wants to investigate it further, great!!! However, edifying the audience should not be the 'main focus' within the designs of the show construction as it applies to audience engagement (see the increasing problem of audience disconnect DCI is currently trying to rectify). And to think that the majority of people in the stands are fine arts intellectuals is, well, a trip into la la land.  Most people in the stands who went to college were not Music/Arts Majors; and if they were exposed to music/arts it was likely by taking music and/or art appreciation classes as electives; they paid for that boredom then, and they likely do not want to pay for another music/art appreciation course when they attend a DCI show.

Also, couldn't the same 'pandering' accusation be applied to shows constructed for the cerebral minded intellectuals who derive enjoyment out of needing to research design content? And, by using the phrase 'pandering to pop culture', don't you see how that screams of the academic ivory tower mentality which is driving much of the audience disconnect?

I am well within my right to simply state that if/when DCI panders to pop culture to draw in the masses, I will lose interest in the activity.  I am bombarded with pop culture everywhere I look - don't need/want it in drum corps.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

im sorry but how can everything be equal if one is standing still and the other isn't? 

Not understanding what you're trying to say 

Saying the group moving is performing at a higher level because of the added difficulty.  In a buildup scale this should be recognized but sadly is not.  Somehow moving became irrelevant to score/difficulty and that needs to be looked at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Saying the group moving is performing at a higher level because of the added difficulty.  In a buildup scale this should be recognized but sadly is not.  Somehow moving became irrelevant to score/difficulty and that needs to be looked at.

But is the group moving just as clean as the group that isn't moving as much?