Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, what is going on is a fusion. And in my opinion with the wrong sense of direction. Academic Intellectuals who desire to progress the art form are borrowing the tools from the commercial side yet constructing DCI show designed to force edify the audience into their way of progressing the art. We need people like Quench Jones to design shows not people like John cage.

Yet, in 2017 the activity leading Blue Devils are playing a ballad this year that was produced by Quincy Jones and nobody is doing Cage (Though I would probably enjoy that myself).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Should they abandon jazz and classical rep etc... as well because they are too elite for the tastes of Bubba Q. Public?

Last time I checked high quality rock bands from the '60s to today use both jazz and symphonic influences much better in commercial settings than any of the recent DCI designs; and those high quality rock bands fill entire pro football stadiums, sometimes multiple nights in a row.

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Im not seeing how GE has anything to do with visual scores. 

For the last few years DCI has mandated the Visual GE judges to take into account how Music GE ties in with Visual and adjust their evaluations accordingly. And since that is the case, the dots I connected with the postings by you and Mello prompted me to ask why would a GE evaluation of the Black Page automatically trump a GE evaluation of Adagio based solely on difficulty if both were performed equally well.

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Last time I checked high quality rock bands from the '60s to today use both jazz and symphonic influences much better in commercial settings than any of the recent DCI designs; and those high quality rock bands fill entire pro football stadiums, sometimes multiple nights in a row.

2017 rep also includes music from Zappa, Beck, Radiohead, Thank You Scientist, Snarky Puppy, Bjork etc... One of last years big highlights was a Pink Floyd tune. Most of these groups would still be considered too artsy for today's general public.

Edited by 3PoC

14 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Yet, in 2017 the activity leading Blue Devils are playing a ballad this year that was produced by Quincy Jones and nobody is doing Cage (Though I would probably enjoy that myself).

A direct result of the prompting of Ceserio a few years back telling the various corps designers to knock it off concerning the expanding cerebral edification aspects of audience communication and get back into a mode of audience engagement via entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

For the last few years DCI has mandated the Visual GE judges to take into account how Music GE ties in with Visual and adjust their evaluations accordingly. And since that is the case, the dots I connected with the postings by you and Mello prompted me to ask why would a GE evaluation of the Black Page automatically trump a GE evaluation of Adagio based solely on difficulty if both were performed equally well.

I'm not familiar with any Zappa other than what the Bluecoats are playing this year so maybe that's why the point you're trying to make is lost on me. 

11 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

2017 rep also includes music from Zappa, Beck, Radiohead, Thank You Scientist, Snarky Puppy, Bjork etc... One of last years big highlights was a Pink Floyd tune. Most of these groups would still be considered too artsy for today's general public.

Yes, but the charts over the past few years or so were not arranged as music to reflect the original compositions, but we're chopped, bopped, cut, and pasted at the direction and pleasure of the almighty visual staff.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not familiar with any Zappa other than what the Bluecoats are playing this year so maybe that's why the point you're trying to make is lost on me. 

I used the Black Page merely as an example of a chart that has difficulty built in with many notes contrasted with Adagio that has its difficulty in the lushness and feel of the open sustained sounds.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I used the Black Page merely as an example of a chart that has difficulty built in with many notes contrasted with Adagio that has its difficulty in the lushness and feel of the open sustained sounds.

Gotcha. Well the answer is complicated isn't it? It's hard to describe difficulty because there's so many ways to go about it as you just demonstrated in the post I'm quoting. 

From the early seventies to the mid eighties shows looked and sounded like they were designed on the conveyer belt of arrange music, teach music, write drill, teach drill, put music and drill together, perform show; in that order. Thst created some great musical arrangements but sort of generic visual motion. Mid eighties to late nineties saw a healthy balance of music/motion motion/music interchanging equally in show construction. That created some great music as great motion.  In post lY2K the pendulum seemed to swing to a completely visual driven show design concept with musical sound merely intended to support the visual movement. That created extraordinary visual motion but disjunctive musical phrasing. Hopefully DCI is moving back to a healthy balance between great visual and comprehensible music arranging.

• Like 1