Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

Three issues on which I would LOVE to hear other’s opinions:

Chop and Paste: Isn’t there artistic skill, craft, ingeniousness to developing a show that flows in a way that makes sense to your eyes and ears? Especially if YOU GET TO CHOOSE the show theme and name the production whatever you want? I know that not everyone’s eyes and ears, judge training, likes and dislikes/personal tastes, allow everyone to discern corps’ shows in the same way or at the same level, but the cut and paste approach of BD is distracting to me. It doesn’t mean there are not things about them I do like and appreciate- and there are years I felt the deserved to win. It seems that no one else either chooses to do, or gets to do such in the same way BD designs shows. I get that the talent level is stupid high and that they perform so well etc. Is it simply their style and you like it or don’t? They often go right from one style to the next, one tune to the next, with no set up, no connection to the show theme, etc.  I know I have lost of other corps to enjoy, but I really do want better appreciate what they do. 

Standing and Playing/Demand. I know it has been brought up a lot, but . . . BD’s brass stand and play for six minutes this year. I know that may change. Seems they would have to play sooooo much better than all other horn lines to win brass. I get that there are various types of demand. This issue for me also plays into the fact that they walk around a lot this year. That too may be changed. If the perfect visual marriage for the music I am hearing is people walking around, seemingly completely disengaged, fine. This year and years past there are always three or four moments where they could not work out a guard transition so they tell those members to just walk over to where they need to be for the next section. Again, totally disengaged. If the GE and show design goal is 100% perfection of the craft of putting a show together where the details of production, marriage of visual and audio, and performance quality and delivery of the members is so spot on, every audience member is completely engaged the entire show, why are these issues okay, especially for the corps that supposedly more often than not sets the design standards? I know there is no such thing as the perfect effect show that will affect everyone equally, but I watch corps placing lower have none of these design issues.  My curiosity is high here because they often win GE. So apparently people are seeing and hearing a level of craft that I need help getting. 

Do they care if the audience likes it? Should a show require multiple critiques for the judges to learn about the show design intent before they can enjoy/reward the show design efforts fully? What about me- the paying audience member that wants to like BD better, but too often feels shut out of the show too frequently over the course of the show. The park and barks are usually well executed and sometimes exciting. There are at times additional moments that carry engagement and some emotional value. As soon as these moments seem to be flowing well, bam, we are taken 180 into something unrelated. The unexpected turn or twist can be an effect. I do not ever think such is their ammo. If seeing a film, or play, or ballet, or opera, etc. the careful crafting of every moment seems the goal. If they want people to see, hear, respect, and hopefully repeat viewings, it is the careful and thoughtful crafting that elevates the effect and the second ticket or recording or DVD bought. 

I am not trying to be snarky at all.  Would really appreciate how others view the BD design approach and subsequent high scores in GE. 

Edited by mirrormen
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Oh my.....you needed to be here about 10 years ago LOL!!!

Not sure your point. this approach bothered me 10 years ago, but it seems to be getting worse. 

• Like 3

Is it just you?  No. BUT, also, is it just BD?  No. All of today's corps do chop and paste (as you call it) arrangements. Go watch or listen to SCV's 1982 or 1983 opener. Compare that to what Crown does with it this year. Total chop and paste. That's just one example. 

Standing and Playing AKA "park n blow":  I challenge you to find me a corps that doesn't stop for the highly technical phrases. Maybe BD does it more, but it's a matter of how much versus they do it and others don't. 

Do they care what the audience likes?  Haha, do any of them?  They are arranging and playing for the judges. Do I like this?  Actually, I HATE it. 

They all do what BD does. Thing is, BD usually does it better. 

• Like 6

I literally just talked about this in another thread. Funny.

copied it here since it's more fitting:

That's why I don't really understand all the GE hype for BD this year. Musically...yes. Amazing. Visually I think the show right now is pretty...boring. Guard is good but definitely don't feel unbeatable and can list 2 or 3 guards I think that are performing better with a book just as hard. The drill, what there is of it, seems pretty basic and there's ALOT of standing and playing.

Being on DCP and long time fans, we understand the musical/visual moments contributing to the metamorphosis and their significance. Some are genius. But what about the newbies who don't understand the history of BD. Will they really get this show?

so how does a judge, judge? Lol. With fresh eyes like a large percentage of show attendees? Or as seasoned learned viewers? Is it fair to other corps that this is more of an assumed GE then an in your face obvious show? All the time I'm reading how this corps should do this or this corps should do that do their GE makes sense. But why then does BD automatically get a pass when their show makes absolutely no sense to someone who doesn't understand the history of the corps.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 4

According to many of the self-proclaimed experts who post on this site: DCI is, and should be, 'All About the Visual' with 'Sound being a mere backdrop enhancement the the Almighty Visual'. And according to them the rest of us who differ are kermudgens with inferior opinions. Just letting you know that has been the case for about a decade or so.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Love that a Bluecoats fan is coming to defense of BD. Reminds me of finals retreat 2014. Need more of this.

• Like 5