Minnesota Brass

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I forget the corps, but I remember sitting in Annapolis watching a small A class corps try to power thru "Fire of Eternal Glory" as if they had 60 brass . . . way too spread out, parts written for 2nd and 3rd voices that only one person was playing in the brass, and then coming online a few days later saw people from said corps complaining about their score. They should have complained. To the people that gave them that show.

Anybody know which corps this was? CorpsReps doesn't list anyone playing that song in 2012 or 2013, but there are some Class A corps whose repertoires are missing.

(Agreed that Govenaires are the model for small done right. And from that 2015 list I previously offered, I would say the White Sabers likewise.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(Agreed that Govenaires are the model for small done right. And from that 2015 list I previously offered, I would say the White Sabers likewise.)

Absolutely.  The Govies have long reminded me of DCI's Mandarins, when the Mandarins were a Div. 3 corps. They'd come out with, what, 10 horns some years... and not only crush their competition, but at times beat corps twice their size or more.

And to me, the White Sabers have transitioned in recent years from a corps that, early on, was trying to do too much with not enough, to a corps that has its act completely together in terms of designing for the numbers, and talent, that they have. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, BigW said:

Reading some of the recent posts and given my work experience with setting people up for failure day after day- design teams are really trying to provide success to the performers more and more and not giving them impossible goals to meet. Thank God. Now if some HS Teams can learn this- the world would be a better place.

HS teams won't learn that lesson until marching band circuit judges start rewarding it.

45 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

It's the judging process that causes the band directors overwrite shows?

explain please

Oh my god, attend a competition sometime. Bad judges (certainly not all, but enough to do the damage) constantly reward poorly-designed programs, regardless of the level of achievement.

Sometimes, the staff won't listen as well. Season after season, they bite off more than they can chew and they're told this. A couple of notorious culprits come to mind. Sometimes, they'll buy a package above their heads as well. "Well-known arranger x and DCI drill designer y wrote this show... it's GREAT!"... Then blame the judges when they don't understand what's within said package, can't teach properly what is within said package, can't perform it well, and fail. There's blame to be had on both ends of the equation.

• Like 2

Holy Moly! ... did this thread ever take a left turn!

:blink:

• Like 2

Another issue to consider in the Scholastic arena is the emphasis on "challenges presented to the performer", however you want to framed it. A lot of weight in scoring is on that end. Not as much on effect as DCA. If the show is perceived as difficult to perform even though it's not very interesting/boring/flat/pick your term, it can still do well. In the circuit I'm familiar with, It's 60/40 performance/effect with 30% of the overall weight given in visual and musical analysis of the difficulty. So... some folks think they need to double down on technicality, resulting in a lot of the negative issues.