Minnesota Brass

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Sometimes, they'll buy a package above their heads as well. "Well-known arranger x and DCI drill designer y wrote this show... it's GREAT!"... Then blame the judges when they don't understand what's within said package, can't teach properly what is within said package, can't perform it well, and fail. There's blame to be had on both ends of the equation.

This happens a lot. Also, I once worked with a band that hired a well-known/talented DCI drill writer who completely phoned it in.

Regarding the topic at hand: MBI will be fine. They're in sound financial shape and their current staff is great at what they do.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Kinda, Andy. :satisfied:

If you had a couple of the friends I have you'd be more used to this. :laugh:

Like some of our conversations, W... they start at Point A and end in another zip code!!  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Sometimes, the staff won't listen as well. Season after season, they bite off more than they can chew and they're told this.

An arranger friend of mine dealt with that more often than he would have preferred. LOL

A band with two or three trumpet players... one of whom didn't quite know which end of the horn to blow into... wanting to play an all-Wagner show.  :tongue: Stuff like that. 

Edited by Fran Haring

More left turns here than a NASCAR race. :innocent:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbriggs said:

cuz it rewards what the fans think is crap

"Rewards Crap":

Ding, Ding, Ding......  :devil:

Hold all phone calls.....:innocent:

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba   :flower:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Anybody know which corps this was? CorpsReps doesn't list anyone playing that song in 2012 or 2013, but there are some Class A corps whose repertoires are missing.

(Agreed that Govenaires are the model for small done right. And from that 2015 list I previously offered, I would say the White Sabers likewise.)

maybe i have the song wrong. I know it was something Phantom had done in the past

13 hours ago, Kamarag said:

HS teams won't learn that lesson until marching band circuit judges start rewarding it.

i'm your huckleberry

The logical next phase of this discursive thread:  woodwinds in DCA!

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

The logical next phase of this discursive thread:  woodwinds in DCA!

i know where you live

• Like 3

Being in the audience last Saturday, I thought MBI's hornline was dreadful. That said, their guard and percussion did not seem one bit off their game at this time of year (in fact I thought the guard was even better than last year). And the sizes of those sections were quite typical of the corps - nothing has changed there.  I have little doubt those two sections will still be in the top 3 at DCA, as they were last year.

It's just the hornline that needs major work. And yes, that's a big task.

Their staff is comprised of a smart group of people. They know their issues and are taking steps to remedy them.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 3