2017 Legends Drum Corps Open LIVE From The Stands! Coverage

I will be covering the 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open LIVE From the Stands! for Drum Corps Planet and writing the show review for Drum Corps World!

http://wp.me/pHgBd-Np

• Like 1

That's still about two weeks out, right?

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's still about two weeks out, right?

Correct. I like starting the hype machine a little early. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, note that Saturday's show has been moved from Three Rivers to Plainwell:

"• IMPORTANT: Due to unforeseen issues at the Three Rivers High School Stadium, event organizers have made arrangements for the 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open to be relocated to the Plainwell High School Stadium. 

Please call 317.275.1218 or email tickets@dci.org for further details if you have already purchased tickets for this event."

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965779&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211298042

I think this event was held at Plainwell a few years ago. It's about 40 minutes north, on the other side of Kalamazoo.

National Weather Service says

"This Afternoon
Scattered showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tonight
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Areas of fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. North wind 3 to 5 mph."

Obviously it's not going to be an issue tonight: but has there ever been a drum corps shows in the fog?

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

National Weather Service says

"This Afternoon
Scattered showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tonight
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Areas of fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. North wind 3 to 5 mph."

Obviously it's not going to be an issue tonight: but has there ever been a drum corps shows in the fog?

No but when I was in high school I played an NFL halftime show in the fog at Soldier Field in Chicago.  It was probably good that we couldn't see the stands.  Everyone was probably in the beer line while we were playing.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think in most places fog doesn't happen until late at night, so the drum corps contests are over.  I've been at some where fog was beginning to occur.

Unfortunately, one year I was at a DCI Drum Beauty show in Stillwater, MN.  The show was fine, but the fog that developed afterward was a major cause in one of the judges being killed in a traffic crash on his way to the next event.

While we're waiting for Kevin to finish his four-plus-hours drive, here's the schedule for tonight:

5:00 p.m.   ---   Box Office Opens

7:00 p.m.   ---   Welcome & National Anthem

7:07 p.m.   ---   Columbus Saints (Columbus, OH) [SoundSport]

7:27 p.m.   ---   LakeShoremen (Brownstown, MI) [SoundSport]

7:37 p.m.   ---   Les Stentors (Sherbrooke, QE)

7:53 p.m.   ---   Shadow (Oregon, WI)

8:09 p.m.   --- Intermission

8:30 p.m.   ---   Colt Cadets (Dubuque, IA)

8:46 p.m.   ---   River City Rhythm (Anoka, MN)

9:02 p.m.   ---   Music City (Nashville, TN)

9:18 p.m.   ---   Legends (Kalamazoo, MI)

• Like 1

Drive is finished and I am in the stands.

If there are any mods out there, would they be able to make this the official show thread so it's accessible via the DrumScorps app? It would make my life much easier for posting photos.

My current vantage point is approximately the 37 yard line, side 2 (right side of the field), top row of the stands. I'll post a photo shortly.

Just over an hour until show time. I'll do an official show intro once we're closer to go time.