Centerville Soaring Sounds - Aug 1

I will echo the sentiments above regarding the Cavaliers brass being cranked through the speakers. I noticed that at NightBEAT and it was a huge turn off for me. At one point, they are all on the right side of the field and you could hear brass blasting out of the speaker on the left side. Sounds like crap and totally took me out of the performance.  I wish they (and other corps) would refrain from doing this.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It was a great night for Stars. 1.6 pt jump in one night!

Scorewise, it was a great night for every corps in the show.  1.5 points was the average increase of the nine corps from their last score.  The lowest increase was a 0.6 by Pacific Crest.  The highest was a 2.5 by Genesis.  It was a "rising tide" kind of night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

How did attendance turn out?  Someone mentioned lots of tickets NOT sold earlier in the day. Hope they got a good walk up crowd. 

From my vantage point, there were some wholes in the middle, premium section. But it looked as though elsewhere the crowd stretched from end to end.

Centerville is a fine venue for a show, easy to get to, easy free parking. Food trucks offered great variety, but they might be a bit impractical for large crowds. (And they shut down at 8:00, just before INT. Maybe a local regulation?) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iloveband said:

I don't believe they are micing the corps. Maybe this was unintentional? I've seen them twice and not once did I hear the corps through the speakers. Regiment on the other hand, very noticeable. 

It appeared to be intentional. They had four large mics on stands set across the front sideline; large ones with big, fuzzy wind covers. I had just seen the corps on Friday  in Nashville and did not hear or didn't  notice any brass sound coming from speakers other than soloists. I don't know if this was an experiment or what. 

12 minutes ago, FLBuzcut said:

It appeared to be intentional. They had four large mics on stands set across the front sideline; large ones with big, fuzzy wind covers. I had just seen the corps on Friday  in Nashville and did not hear or didn't  notice any brass sound coming from speakers other than soloists. I don't know if this was an experiment or what. 

top corps micing of the brass leads to trends that will unfortunately now start that other corps will be doing the same trying to keep up with the pack. While not a fan of this, I am a fan of the Cavaliers doing whatever it takes to remain competitive. 

15 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

How did attendance turn out?  Someone mentioned lots of tickets NOT sold earlier in the day. Hope they got a good walk up crowd. 

There were LOTS of walk up tickets sold.

Flabbergasted that there could be tickets unsold for a lineup like this.  You all are spoiled in the midwest!  Where I live we get ONE show early in the season and then it's bubbye coaches, trucks & trailers - for the rest of the season.

22 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Met DCP folks @ThirdValvesAreForWimps and @FLBuzcut tonight. John and Jim. Good guys who, if I recall, also are helpful posters.

Loooong INT is about over!

We met NEBrigand too!

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps