This is an all-time great BD show.

22 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

So is this the counter thread to the "Blue Devils Chop and Bop" thread? Way better than last year for sure. Not liking it as much as 14 or 15 but it's definitely on its way.

If you haven't seen it live, I'd hold judgment on the show. It's a powerhouse in person...video does no justice. Gotta see it in person.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

If you haven't seen it live, I'd hold judgment on the show. It's a powerhouse in person...video does no justice. Gotta see it in person.

I want to see "Metamorphosis" live for this very reason.  The Blue Devils are playing some great music and much of it is stuff they like played in the 1980s when their "brand" was jazz.  When I was marching with The Cavaliers, the Blue Devils were among my favorite competitors.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I want to see "Metamorphosis" live for this very reason.  The Blue Devils are playing some great music and much of it is stuff they like played in the 1980s when their "brand" was jazz.  When I was marching with The Cavaliers, the Blue Devils were among my favorite competitors.  

I'm so looking forward to seeing them in San Antonio. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BDCorno said:

I bet, I'll get to see it at San Antonio. The show is very good for sure. Definitely looking forward to it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alcubierre said:

I don't like this show, and I hope it doesn't medal 

But the performance from the members is fantastic 

Translation:

f**k the Blue Devils

But lemme add in something nice so that my post doesn't seem inappropriate 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ElSuarez said:

Hmm, I guess I wrongly assumed this was going to be a thread about 1982... ;) 

That was a great year for the Blue Devils.  

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Translation:

f**k the Blue Devils

But lemme add in something nice so that my post doesn't seem inappropriate 

No, not really.  I like listening to this show.  The horn line really plays well.  As well as anyone I've heard in past few years and really reminds of earlier BD horn lines.  But the visual show for the Brass is awful.  They might as well sit down behind the perc pit and play like a big band jazz group.  The guard and percussion line have a much more difficult book.  The horn line walks to several sets the parks and barks, then does a couple FTL moves into variations on the basic block.  Rarely do they move and play anything, let alone anything difficult.  There is rarely any movement that makes any sense while standing, it's usually a Freeform individual soloist style mvt while standing and several Freeform movements between sets.  I'm plent impressed with music and it's achievement, but GE wise, there is nothing visually that does much of anything.  Music credit, but no visual credit in GE and it should be scored like that.  High brass scores.  Visual credit in achievement, but low scores in difficulty should be given to them visually.  There are two areas where they should not be getting much credit, which to me is really playing with fire.  Maybe it's a reverse psychology move from the Bluecoats, but I think the coats are much closer if not better than in Guard and Perc.  They have a great brass line, but not in league of BD, but then do you factor in what movement is being done while a form is not visuall moving somewhere on the field, but instead is movement by the performers that adds to the difficulty of what is being played?  Are we being forced into choosing as fans or is DCI being forced into looking at something more carefully, like the direction of what they allowing, or into saying what is most important to our members or fans?  Are the judges having to choose what difficulties are more difficult according to the sheets and scoring system?  Am I losing my mind - yes!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Do you recognize the drum cadence and the accompanying trumpet calls?

No. Honestly only watched one of their first performances on Youtube once and didn't care to rewatch or see the changes. Yes they perform their shows well, but I've never enjoyed them, at least most of what I've seen in the last 8 years, although ironically last year's show was the only one I liked, or at least some of it when it seems like it isn't liked as much here.

• Like 1