Does BAC overtake Cadets by San Antonio?

Yes, absolutely but then, how safe are Cavies from being caught and passed by the accelerating Boston train? 

I for one would not be at all surprised if they finish ahead of both of them at Finals. Clearly, the corps 'Believes'and as a result have easablished that special, self fueling momentum. As a result, IMO, they will continue to improve beyond most people's expectations and are going to be very hard to stop!

Good for Boston Crusaders. Very exciting !

7 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Isn't everyone modifying at this point? I don't mean to be contentious, but if it took them this long to get a closer on the field, doesn't that give their competition time to change/alter the closer they already have on the field. I grew up a fan of all of these fine corps...I have no axe to grind with the Cadets...but didn't they have the same number of days/hours/minutes to develop a show as everyone else? We have several kids from our community who march Cadets...I do NOT want this to be taken as a slight at the Cadets...but I am kind of shaking my head that in mid-July they still have  " a closer to add". Maybe ( and I mean this with all honesty) I just don't understand how Drum Corps works in the modern day. 

On one hand, the 1989 Les Miz show went through roughly 47 endings before they decided on the fast, upbeat one. Ditto 1995---at one point, all the males left the field, and the females removed shakos (men going off to war, leaving the women home). Whoever came up with the Iwo Jima ending was brilliant.

On the other hand, those were different times with MUCH more focused creation (and FAR more interesting music). For the last two years, it's been one excuse after another with this corps--no ending, members leaving, MOST of the designers leaving. About that: how does BD manage to keep such an intact staff for DECADES? Even in the "down" years of no medaling ('89-'93), Downey, Chandler, etc didn't bolt. The Cadets are a mere shell of who and what they used to be, and it's sadder than seeing Madison fall apart. From leading where no one could possibly follow ("Uh, WE can't do that!" --- Wayne Downey, 1983) to this. It's upsetting and a real shame. I suppose it will take their alum support to turn their backs (read: close their wallets) for something to change at this point.

7 hours ago, DasTuba said:

I feel like I'm in the minority but I can't stand the cadets show this year and that makes me sad. I was on the other side last year and loved the show. I do think Boston has a legitimate shot at passing up the cadets.

As far as "can't stand" you may be in a minority, and I'm not including those who can't stand the Cadets because the Cadets director irks them, but the overall consensus I've heard from seeing them live twice and countless non DCP discussions, the scope of the show is impressive but there is also a great deal of discomfort with the show for a while host of reasons, some have little to do with religion.

i'm thinking we could see an upset as early as the next show in Atlanta. It may not be an entire second half of the season where BAC tops Cadets, but at finals BAC tends to surge as we not only saw last year when they made finals, but in 2012 8th seemed realistic, they placed 7th, 2013 looked like a solid 9th, they placed 8th. By finals they'll be on fire and burn the house down.

If I can find a version of this show with no visual, only audio but with all the religious voice overs taken out, I'll absolutely love this show. 

Otherwise, it's a okay to good show with a little too many religious references for my comfort. 

• Like 1

I would be surprised if BAC didn't overtake Cadets. Believe they have been held back for some odd reason and are being a bit underscored.

Cadets continue to fix what should have been done right before it was taught.  Rewrites every single day every season trying to stop the bleeding of failed planning. The season is too short for that daily routine. No matter the changes the production is all it can be. I find it hard to believe a new ending, changed, rewritten or otherwise is going to make up a two point spread between Cavaliers. That would have to be one hell of a ending  

BAC should gain ground. Show was done right from the beginning, no rewrites or major changes, and now they're cleaning and layering. Members are in performance mode. With their staff they can improve very quickly, and we're beginning to see that translate to the sheets. Will it be enough to stay in front of Cadets, I'll leave that up to the opinions judging each night. I believe BAC will beat Cadets this season and more so sooner than later. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 7