Does BAC overtake Cadets by San Antonio?

Cadets & Boston - upcoming competitions:

Wednesday > Cadets/Boston/Cavaliers... probably too soon for the current gap to close up completely (Atlanta)

Thursday / Friday > Cadets off... Boston competes Friday night in TN against Crown. During this time Cadets will change the final 3 minutes of their show - including new sets for the ending of "The Fallen"; new work for the bridge to "Fallen" and all new drill and 1 minute new music to "The Fallen" conclusion of the program. They've been working on this since last week while still using their prior music/drill at the last several competitions. Learning this began Monday/Tuesday last week. 

I bring this up because Saturday it will debut

Saturday (DeKalb) we should see a new final 3 minutes from the Cadets - with restaging of 2 minutes and the new minute of music and drill

Boston is NOT at DeKalb - the 2 corps actually go their separate ways for a little while. 

So - use the score "bump" (assuming there is one) for Cadets to "gauge" whether or not Boston will overtake Cadets this year

If Cadets see a 1.5-2 point gap over DeKalb and the weekend Boston may not catch Cadets this season. Cavaliers are at DeKalb - so use the point gap between those two to gauge Cadets "improvement"

If Cadets see less than a point of a bump then Boston (assuming the current trends continue otherwise) will have a great shot of overtake Cadets in Atlanta or Allentown

I hope both corps have a great back-half of the season so all can look back at 2017 positively!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I would be surprised if BAC didn't overtake Cadets. Believe they have been held back for some odd reason and are being a bit underscored.

Cadets continue to fix what should have been done right before it was taught.  Rewrites every single day every season trying to stop the bleeding of failed planning. The season is too short for that daily routine. No matter the changes the production is all it can be. I find it hard to believe a new ending, changed, rewritten or otherwise is going to make up a two point spread between Cavaliers. That would have to be one hell of a ending  

BAC should gain ground. Show was done right from the beginning, no rewrites or major changes, and now they're cleaning and layering. Members are in performance mode. With their staff they can improve very quickly, and we're beginning to see that translate to the sheets. Will it be enough to stay in front of Cadets, I'll leave that up to the opinions judging each night. I believe BAC will beat Cadets this season and more so sooner than later. 

it's important to remember that 1.7 of the 2 point gap was 2 judges which heavily swung the results

But I agree unless we see a major shake up in the scoring once Cadets do make the changes - Boston will overtake the Cadets. That's the trend we are seeing.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, George Dixon said:

it's important to remember that 1.7 of the 2 point gap was 2 judges which heavily swung the results

But I agree unless we see a major shake up in the scoring once Cadets do make the changes - Boston will overtake the Cadets. That's the trend we are seeing.

It's certainly not been a good week for Cadets. Gaps in front opening and gaps behind shrinking. Cadets certainly need to get their ending in, and clean. The Cadets will either start to soar or will be overcome by BAC. Not sure why Cadets are not scoring MUCH better. Honestly I would have them I over Cavies even now without changes but still believe they will gain momentum in about 2 weeks. The show is two thoughtful to not do well competitively and I've seen everyone else so im not saying this in a vacuum.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 4

Honestly, I'm more interested to see if The Cadets can catch back up to the Cavaliers. I think their show has a lot more potential, and if/when it all clicks I think they can catch up to the Green Machine. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

If I can find a version of this show with no visual, only audio but with all the religious voice overs taken out, I'll absolutely love this show. 

Otherwise, it's a okay to good show with a little too many religious references for my comfort. 

if you find the show disquieting, then it is successful.

I don't mean that in a personal putdown of you but that it is reflective of the consternation, struggle, and confusion Bernstein represented from his own feelings about religion and authority. Making one squirm is not always a bad thing. Often it leads to growth. You might enjoy reading a biography of Bernstein; there are several good ones out there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, xandandl said:

if you find the show disquieting, then it is successful.

I don't mean that in a personal putdown of you but that it is reflective of the consternation, struggle, and confusion Bernstein represented from his own feelings about religion and authority. Making one squirm is not always a bad thing. Often it leads to growth. You might enjoy reading a biography of Bernstein; there are several good ones out there.

Ive been educated on Bernstein and MASS in particular earlier this season through DCP and my own research. I understand the original intentions of the piece, but that doesn't necessarily change my level of enjoyment. I like having religion be a minimal, if not nonexistent part of my life lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tad_MMA said:

So Boston lured those Cadets designers with cash? That's all it took?

I was responding to the question "how did BD hang on to their staff for decades"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ive been educated on Bernstein and MASS in particular earlier this season through DCP and my own research. I understand the original intentions of the piece, but that doesn't necessarily change my level of enjoyment. I like having religion be a minimal, if not nonexistent part of my life lol

I'm wondering if some in the juddging community share your perspective and what if any influence that has on the lens through which they see Cadets 2017? Just a question.

Edited by xandandl

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I've heard they have something not so subtle waiting to be added... they're currently hiding behind those stained glass panels at the back of the field

The Pope, Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Patriarch? :tongue:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

The Pope, Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Patriarch? :tongue:

and lots of sweet smelling incense which won't fall on the turf like baby powder but raise to the heavens (and into the a/c system at SAT and LOS.)

• Like 2