Beef with Scoring

...yawn.  Someone wake me up when we start discussing something new.

• Like 1

One answer will be that there is no such thing as the "real score".

21 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

How realistic do you think it would be that DCI moves in this direction at any point?

There are things happening today that were once deemed unrealistic. The activity has evolved to stay alive.  The activity would move in that direction if there were enough pressure from influential corps who felt "boxed in" and underscored by the current system. An open ended system would provide more meaning to the scores when compared across competitions or time periods. The ranking of corps is inherent to the current system, making comparisons outside a given show less meaningful. The current system can't really convey, by number, the difference we all recognize between Blue Coats' past 72.3 and Mandarins' current 71.0.

14 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'd rather see an ordinal system.  I think it's less constricting on judges (really, you can tell a 14.8 from a 14.9 in percussion?) and gets rid of a lot of these weird spreads. 

Mike

But... there is an inherent flaw in also using just a strict ordinal system.  Point spreads within individual captions, as opposed to strict ordinal numbers, do actually effect overall ranking outcome when everything is all added together.  When it is just ordinals that are added together that negates the inherent quality differences within each individual captions; because there may be a huge wide scoring spread in one of those captions between first and second or third and fourth, Enough of a scoring spread that using the cumulative scores of the captions would place corps A into getting a medal and using just the cumulative ordinals would place Corps A out of medal reception.

17 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I have a problem too..... Cavaliers need to score 100 at each show.

Oh my, that is a problem.  If you want, I can PM you the phone number of a Psychiatrist who can help ya with that problem! :alien:

• Like 2

Yeah thats a fair point.  The only reason we would change that scoring method though, would be so we could directly compare scores, which would not be possible anyway.  If we raised the scores to better understand skill and complexity, the judge's would need to be WAY more precise because the margins between corps would be WAY smaller.  Factoring human error it just seems unattainable.  I'm fine with the current system.

Corps are neither as good or as bad as a small group of people say they are. DCI exists because corps exist...it is a non profit business. Corps who do well financially, benefit the most, check the 990's. Money cures a lot. My viewing of corps is based on what I enjoy, if that corps is 9th or 2nd or 19th is indifferent. DCI is a microcosm of economic status. 

It's also a cool reason to celebrate when Academy or Manadarins do well...their performance fees are less and they are doing more with fewer resources, less Money, yet incur the same amount of expenses. And don't live as well as, say a top Corps, who eats well every single day...not to mention less rehearsal time and further distance to travel to show sights. So hype away Manadarins...well earned. 

Edited by JKT90

Scores are only snapshots in time of how each corps is doing relative to another.  A 71 in June is good.  A 71 in July is worrisome.