Cadets 2 out of the Everett Show ?

15 hours ago, David Hobart said:

Hi all-

Cadets2 contracted into the Everett show back in April.  In that contract, we had a parade requirement.   Last week after the Clifton show, we had a discussion with George Hopkins about the schedule. After some back and forth, we offered him a release from his contract.   He felt that they would be better served with more rehearsal time.  

Are we happy with that decision? No.  Do we have an option to have his organization fined by DCA?  Yes.  Did we request the fine? No. We decided that we would not request that C2 be fined.   They've already lost their largest paycheck of the season with this decision.  Why make it worse?

Mr Hobart,

Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened.  I understand that there are a lot of arm-chair-quarterbacks participating in here with more opinion than actual facts and from the administrations side this forum can be a little like dancing on landmines. But, I do think we care :lle: 

I have to say, it is very gracious of you guys to forgive and not have YEA! take on a fine.  

Question, would the fine go directly to the show sponsor?  

Thanks again for your time.  

AoE

• Like 2

Well Cadets are not off to a good start ahead of them are ,Bucs,Cabs Probably Kids Grove ,Atlanta cVwith Bush & Fusion biting there ### ,That leaves them in 7th place LMAO

Edited by Florida Sun

On 7/18/2017 at 9:32 AM, Florida Sun said:

Well Cadets are not off to a good start; ahead of them are Bucs, Cabs, probably Kidsgrove, and AtlantaCV, with Bush and Fusion biting their ### ,That leaves them in 7th place, LMAO.

As has been pointed by others, C2 started last season several points back and obviously closed the gap, so while they're farther from first this year, they probably have a very good chance of at least medaling.

• Like 1

GH is not having a good season. Cadets and Cadets2 are not doing as well as he like and he has already thrown the Cadets staff under the bus. Cadets2 should have been fined because pulling out to rehearse is not an excuse! All of the other Corps rehearse and still do the show.

• Like 1

I haven't got that far in my review- C2 is better than people think in many aspects. Deciding to rehearse rather than compete in an already short season is an issue, to a point.

I'm trying to articulate this carefully, please forgive me if I seem off center. I'm exhausted from working in a 100 degree humid pizza oven and really don't feel well.

What is the right balance between showing up/competing and just taking time to simply clean and rehearse? And yes, this is a loaded question that panics and honks off people. If you're better off taking your available time with your team and rehearsing and cleaning, why compete at all until 2 weeks before finals? Things appear to be trending towards competing at 4-6 contests max as is with maybe an early evaluation contest thrown in. The only reason the season is as long as it is seems to be to fit in the shows organizations want to do as major fundraisers, which is important. I get that. Money is the fuel. If I'm incorrect, explain, discuss. Please. I think it's worth a serious and friendly talk.

But I see one possible season model for a corps as this: show up at Wildwood, get input, fix what structural show issues you think need fixed, clean like mad, do your parade fundraisers in the meantime, then come out the last 2 weekends before Finals guns-a-blazin if rehearsal time is more valuable than actual public performances. Saves some travel money.

The downside is that the members don't perform the show very much in front of an audience, which was maybe the one thing I personally enjoy the most about the activity. But how truly important is that right now in DCA? John, I hope you respond thoughtfully (as you do) on this and understand I maybe didn't write this as sharp as I could have. I'm very beat and physically run down, but I hope the general gist is there to think about.

Its bad enought that DCA lost 3 shows this year ,we'll start with Bucs ,Downinggtown no show,Excelour show canncelled ,Sunrisers last sunday in aug,Couldn\t get corps to take the show .Not looking good folks ,

Trying to plan a show on the last Sunday in August on Long Island wasn't a great idea. Many college students are leaving for school that day after squeaking out the Saturday night shows. Let's not forget the last time someone sponsored a June Saturday evening DCA show on Long Island where the Bushwackers had more brass players on the field performing then paid customers in the stands. I applaud the Sunrisers for making the smart choice in abandoning this show, It was a very wise business move.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HBD said:

Trying to plan a show on the last Sunday in August on Long Island wasn't a great idea. Many college students are leaving for school that day after squeaking out the Saturday night shows. Let's not forget the last time someone sponsored a June Saturday evening DCA show on Long Island where the Bushwackers had more brass players on the field performing then paid customers in the stands. I applaud the Sunrisers for making the smart choice in abandoning this show, It was a very wise business move.

Hmmm ... Sun abandoned the show? ... I thought C2 was the culprit here ...

:whistle:

6 minutes ago, ajlisko said:

6 minutes ago, ajlisko said:

Sun was trying to put together a third show on Long Island the last weekend of August. It was scrapped early on when no corps would commit to going based on the date. My previous comment has nothing to do with C2 or the Everett show this weekend. I was commenting on Floridasuns comment about 3 lost DCA shows this season.

Edited by HBD