Woodwind players who marched DCI

So my younger sister who is a flute player and a junior in high school has really loved drum corps for years and she wants to do DCI in the future. For those of you who did make the switch, how was your experience? What instrument did you start on, switch to, and when did you start learning? Did you do Open Class first? What tips and recommendations do you have? How often do woodwind players make it switching to brass instruments? I had to give up my chance at DCI and just graduated college this year and am too old to do it, but I'd still really love for her to be able to do it and have that experience.

My son decided, the summer between his Sophomore and Junior years of high school, that he wanted to march with BK.  He was playing clarinet at the time.  He switched to horn/mello, did that the last two years of high school and his first year of college.  Then, in 2012 he auditioned and marched with BK.  He skipped the next year and then auditioned and marched in 2014...his ageout year.

With motivation, anything can be accomplished.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

My son decided, the summer between his Sophomore and Junior years of high school, that he wanted to march with BK.  He was playing clarinet at the time.  He switched to horn/mello, did that the last two years of high school and his first year of college.  Then, in 2012 he auditioned and marched with BK.  He skipped the next year and then auditioned and marched in 2014...his ageout year.

With motivation, anything can be accomplished.

She, I think understandably, doubts herself a lot right now. Her favorite corps and what she wants to march with is the Bluecoats, also my favorite. I auditioned with them on euph and made it in as their first alternate for the 2013 season right out of high school, but had to turn down the offer because where I went to school wouldn't allow it, and I could not turn down this school. I'm thinking of trying DCA myself in the distant future if I ever have the time, and even though I know I made the right choice, every season I'm still wishing I could have done it myself and don't want my sister kicking herself for not doing.

Edited by Blasian62

8 minutes ago, Blasian62 said:

She, I think understandably, doubts herself a lot right now. Her favorite corps and what she wants to march with is the Bluecoats, also my favorite. I auditioned with them on euph and made it in as their first alternate for the 2013 season right out of high school, but had to turn down the offer because where I went to school wouldn't allow it, and I could not turn down this school. I'm thinking of trying DCA myself in the distant future if I ever have the time, and even though I know I made the right choice, every season I'm still wishing I could have done it myself and don't want my sister kicking herself for not doing.

As a Bloo alum and woodwind player I can say just use what you know you. I played flute and saxophone before I touched a brass instrument (sophomore year).   One upper hand I had on most brass players was experience playing runs and reading more complex rhythms. Lots of practice will help. Seeing as she plays fluted she definitely has air support. She can do it. i played lead trumpet 4/5 years in corps. If anything, doubting my skills pushed me harder 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, azul said:

As a Bloo alum and woodwind player I can say just use what you know you. I played flute and saxophone before I touched a brass instrument (sophomore year).   One upper hand I had on most brass players was experience playing runs and reading more complex rhythms. Lots of practice will help. Seeing as she plays fluted she definitely has air support. She can do it. i played lead trumpet 4/5 years in corps. If anything, doubting my skills pushed me harder 

Thanks! I'll be sure to show her these comments of encouragement.

I played saxophone through HS and college. Picked up a baritone after HS, took some lessons, and marched 2 years.  If you go for baritone, practice holding the baritone before audition camp.  A lot of people will struggle with the weight.

Definitely go for Bluecoats, but be open to marching elsewhere first.  The best way to get better at drum corps and your drum corps instrument is to do it.

You said she is a HS junior.  I think she should consider marching a brass instrument senior year.

How serious is her flute playing?  Would she be open to switching instruments completely in order to maximize chances of marching drum corps?  Or is she really committed to flute at the highest level possible?

Would be beneficial if she could get some sort of lessons, even if from a good HS student, on basics for whatever instrument she is interested in switching too.

Interesting azul played trumpet... props!  I think trumpet perhaps the most competitive instrument to make in the hornline, just on the numbers of trumpet players vs. horns / baritones / tubas walking around at a high school.  Some people may disagree.

I think each year, there are woodwind players in every DCI hornline. It's a lot of hard work but it can be done!

• Like 1

One of my friends, also a band director, said he has 9 students that have marched corps. More of them are woodwind players than brass players. She just needs to get a mouthpiece and start buzzing. Definitely go for it!