Current plot lines !

1 hour ago, Vdad76 said:

I hope they slip because it's an "the Emporer is wearing no clothes show".  It just doesn't have any visual chops at all for the brass.  Great music, great guard, great percussion, nada on anything else.

The Blue Devils will NEVER get slighted in score because of this. NEVER.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bicsta said:

How far will the Devils fall at regionals, when it becomes obvious that they do not have the visual demand to compete? 

How many tears will be shed when they don't fall at all and complete their deserved perfect season?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Love the Coats, but frankly they don't have enough show to compete for a title. I think it's BD and SCV fighting it out for a title (though it seems clear that BD has the upper hand, even with a still-developing show). Crown executes very well, so I see Coats trying to cling to third place...and I wouldn't bet my paycheck that they'll get there. Soooo hard to repeat as champion. It's all too easy to exhale, now that you're at the top of the mountain. As hard as you try to be as motivated and diligent as you were when you were climbing, reality is that you've "finally made it" and back off just a bit. Same goes with design...you think you've found the magic formula, but you need to resist the temptation to double down on what you won with (see: Crown 2014). I was watching the theater show and about three minutes into Coats' program I said aloud "it's the same exact show, just different music". Not a good sign. Always have to push the envelope and evolve as designers and performers, doubly so after you win that first title. Great organization and kids with Bluecoats, but I think the program is letting them down at this point. Not sure they'll be able to upgrade the program with that giant boat anchor of a prop in the middle of the field. Some neat effects using it, but it splits the field and hogs the focus, no matter what you do.

As someone who thinks Bluecoats have the best show of the summer, let me offer a bit of rebuttal to this in the spirit of friendly debate, as I think BD is a great corps and have great respect for their history and organization.

Firstly, you say Bluecoats "don't have enough show" to win. That's a bit vague but let's compare a few metrics - Between Bloo and BD, which show has more drill, more simultaneous body+music demand in more challenging listening and staging environments; which has more timing/rhythmic demand in relation to time signature and tempo, and which group features more individual sections of the brass and percussion ensemble? In my opinion Bloo has at least as much show as BD - probably more.

Secondly, this critique: "you think you've found the magic formula, but you need to resist the temptation to double down on what you won with" referring to Bloo 17 being too similar to 16. Let's look at BD 17 - White props, mirrors, snares on white props playing incomprehensible (but good) ditties followed not long after by a similarly inscrutable (but good) tenor feature. 16th note uptempo xylophone transition/modulation, marching in strait files where marchers randomly fall out of form and rejoin, pre-recorded pop music samples, big jazzy shout chorus feature that comes almost out of nowhere, scattering or walking from one set to another, semi-sinister voice-over guy sample, big blobs of horns for big impact music bits, soprano dominant tonal blend, etc... I'm not sure this a great argument as "same show, different music" could easily be pinned on BD as well but I think BD's music sounds pretty similar to recent years, especially the bits (FE transitions, jazz bit, quick horn tonging bit, snare/tenor bits, brash trombone gliss bits etc...).

Lastly this: "Always have to push the envelope and evolve as designers and performers" plus this critique of the prop: "giant boat anchor of a prop in the middle of the field". How many corps this year have several mid -sized props that get moved around and stood on and how many have one singular large prop that acts as stage that can be marched on and with ramps that make for dramatic descents onto the field level, backstage area big enough to fit nearly the whole horn line that allows quick entrances and exits from audience view, and can be marched through/under? To me that is a more innovative and envelope pushing than mirrored white painted stairs that look like a remix of several BD shows. I understand that BD is doing an anniversary show, and that the remix fits that concept but you can hardly say it's pushing the envelope compared to Bluecoats.

I don't dislike 17 Blue Devils or their show, I just think some folks are seeing more freshness in it than others. Where the judges come down on this when everyone starts sharing the same field of competition, I can't say for sure. The judges have been good to the Devils design approach, but I kinda feel they might be pushing their luck by continuing the approach to shows they have been on for last several years. the big plot line here is "how will the judging community come down on this in the end?". No disrespect intended and here's to a great and exciting season for all!

Edited by 3PoC
typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

I hope they slip because it's an "the Emporer is wearing no clothes show".  It just doesn't have any visual chops at all for the brass.  Great music, great guard, great percussion, nada on anything else.

Yeah non visual chops at all for the brass. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!! Love these comments, when you have no clue what you're talking about. Carry on. LOLOL.

12 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

As someone who thinks Bluecoats have the best show of the summer, let me offer a bit of rebuttal to this in the spirit of friendly debate, as I think BD is a great corps and have great respect for their history and organization.

Firstly, you say Bluecoats "don't have enough show" to win. That's a bit vague but let's compare a few metrics - Between Bloo and BD, which show has more drill, more simultaneous body+music demand in more challenging listening and staging environments; which has more timing/rhythmic demand in relation to time signature and tempo, and which group features more individual sections of the brass and percussion ensemble? In my opinion Bloo has at least as much show as BD - probably more.

Secondly, this critique: "you think you've found the magic formula, but you need to resist the temptation to double down on what you won with" referring to Bloo 17 being too similar to 16. Let's look at BD 17 - White props, mirrors, snares on white props playing incomprehensible (but good) ditties followed not long after by a similarly inscrutable (but good) tenor feature. 16th note uptempo xylophone transition/modulation, marching in strait files where marchers randomly fall out of form and rejoin, pre-recorded pop music samples, big jazzy shout chorus feature that comes almost out of nowhere, scattering or walking from one set to another, semi-sinister voice-over guy sample, big blobs of horns for big impact music bits, soprano dominant tonal blend, etc... I'm not sure this a great argument as "same show, different music" could easily be pinned on BD as well but I think BD's music sounds pretty similar to recent years, especially the bits (FE transitions, jazz bit, quick horn tonging bit, snare/tenor bits, brash trombone gliss bits etc...).

Lastly this: "Always have to push the envelope and evolve as designers and performers" plus this critique of the prop: "giant boat anchor of a prop in the middle of the field". How many corps this year have several mid -sized props that get moved around and stood on and how many have one singular large prop that acts as stage that can be marched on and with ramps that make for dramatic descents onto the field level, backstage area big enough to fit nearly the whole horn line that allows quick entrances and exits from audience view, and can be marched through/under? To me that is a more innovative and envelope pushing than mirrored white painted stairs that look like a remix of several BD shows. I understand that BD is doing an anniversary show, and that the remix fits that concept but you can hardly say it's pushing the envelope compared to Bluecoats.

I don't dislike 17 Blue Devils or their show, I just think some folks are seeing more freshness in it than others. Where the judges come down on this when everyone starts sharing the same field of competition, I can't say for sure. The judges have been good to the Devils design approach, but I kinda feel they might be pushing their luck by continuing the approach to shows they have been on for last several years. the big plot line here is "how will the judging community come down on this in the end?". No disrespect intended and here's to a great and exciting season for all!

No disrespect taken. You have your opinion, that's fine. 

• Like 1

I'll say that BD and Bloo have both followed their own respective formulas since 2014, with this year being the most egregious example of copying the previous year for both corps. 

I think both shows are better than their previous year, but both extremely similar in form, design, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Habs33 said:

How many tears will be shed when they don't fall at all and complete their deserved perfect season?

This many ?

• Like 1

Boston is the dark horse 

in the last week they pass Cavies for fifth

then either crown or bloo for fourth