Sound FX Question

So I've been a user of MainStage for the past 3 years as I have come to use it for my piano patches for my school's musical, and I know it's a super powerful piece of software thats dirt cheap, but never did it occur to me that drum corps would be using this as well until the theatre broadcast the issues with one of the corps.  

Which leads me to my question, does anyone know how many corps patch their microphones or route their signal to get the sound effects, and if so, which effects?  Or are their other pieces of equipment that get the sound.  I highly doubt that corps just use the built-in sound effects right from the digital boards they use.

8 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

So I've been a user of MainStage for the past 3 years as I have come to use it for my piano patches for my school's musical, and I know it's a super powerful piece of software thats dirt cheap, but never did it occur to me that drum corps would be using this as well until the theatre broadcast the issues with one of the corps.  

Which leads me to my question, does anyone know how many corps patch their microphones or route their signal to get the sound effects, and if so, which effects?  Or are their other pieces of equipment that get the sound.  I highly doubt that corps just use the built-in sound effects right from the digital boards they use.

A lot of corps use the built-in effects of their digital boards, because they are often excellent, plentiful, and easily customized and combined.  Boards like the Behringer X-32 (one of the industry standards) can do almost anything. That said, some corps do create their own extensively customized effects. Cavaliers for example, have some pretty amazing soundscapes created by Mike MacIntosh.

Edited by Kamarag

I am curious how corps create pitch bend sound fx (like the '14 Bluecoats did). Do they sample the hornline and then fiddle with it on Audacity or something? Do they time it out to fit their needs or is there someone on a keyboard that it controlling the speed and duration?

I am trying to implement some sound effects with my band and I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.