Time to join FloMarching?

We had 2 or 3 buffering events & 1 full freeze when watching Dekalb, none after we switched to Denver. Their web player is astoundingly primitive - no way to go full screen? The video quality was OK - although it seems to me we've had higher res streams in past years. Audio was better from Denver than from Dekalb.

The least professional area was the multicam shot selection. Many times they cut to a camera showing empty grass, or to the soloist/section that just finished playing, or to someone in the midst of swinging their camera around. Surely they can do better than this - why not just contract some of the people who did this in past years for DCI Live/Fan Network? Are we still going to get Tom Blair & team for championships?

3 hours ago, mbviking said:

Well, to be honest, I think you've pretty much defined the problem.  If you're on DSL and trying to run through your phone to another device, you can't be getting more than about 3 or 4 Mbps download speed (just guessing) and that would be nowhere near enough to be able to stream this without buffering.  I would venture to say you'd need to be downloading at a speed of at least 15 to 20 Mbps to get a reliable stream.  I used to be in the same boat with the old Fan Network until I got a new cable connection that gave me 60 Mbps.  Since then, I've never had any streaming issues.

Usually my iPhone gives me very reliable streaming. I stream ESPNU and ESPN3 constantly, hardly ever have these issues.

2 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

We had 2 or 3 buffering events & 1 full freeze when watching Dekalb, none after we switched to Denver. Their web player is astoundingly primitive - no way to go full screen? The video quality was OK - although it seems to me we've had higher res streams in past years. Audio was better from Denver than from Dekalb.

The least professional area was the multicam shot selection. Many times they cut to a camera showing empty grass, or to the soloist/section that just finished playing, or to someone in the midst of swinging their camera around. Surely they can do better than this - why not just contract some of the people who did this in past years for DCI Live/Fan Network? Are we still going to get Tom Blair & team for championships?

Don't start with me and the Tom Blair crew. Obviously they continue to get that gig because of their relationships with the dci brass. Their commentary is so pathetic that kids actually laughed at their comments in the theatre broadcast.

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Usually my iPhone gives me very reliable streaming. I stream ESPNU and ESPN3 constantly, hardly ever have these issues.

I guess I don't know what to tell you then.  All I know is that my streaming was flawless last night.  Additionally, I also started with the DeKalb show and then switched to DATR and had no issues after switching, unlike what some others have mentioned.  I just have a hard time thinking this is a Flo issue, otherwise everyone would be experiencing the same, or at least very similar, experiences.  Considering all the negative comments about FloMarching coming into the season, I've been very satisfied with the streams-other than the less than stellar camera angle switches with muliti-cam.

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Don't start with me and the Tom Blair crew. Obviously they continue to get that gig because of their relationships with the dci brass. Their commentary is so pathetic that kids actually laughed at their comments in the theatre broadcast.

Tom Blair = guy who produces the DVD/BluRay/cinecasts.

Steve Rondinaro/Dennis Delucia = guys who do commentary for the theater broadcasts

Edited by ShortAndFast
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Flo app is at fault. I don't use the app. I watch through Flo's website, connecting my computer to TV via HDMI. Works fine. DeKalb even sounded fine, much better than Minnesota a week before. No glitches or freezes. Using wi-fi for my connection. 

6 minutes ago, quietcity said:

I wonder if the Flo app is at fault. I don't use the app. I watch through Flo's website, connecting my computer to TV via HDMI. Works fine. DeKalb even sounded fine, much better than Minnesota a week before. No glitches or freezes. Using wi-fi for my connection. 

Ah, excellent point.  I don't use the app either, just the website and use HDMI from my laptop to TV.  No issues.

curious what peoples' network speeds are who are having no problems -

using speedtest.net in chrome (doesn't require flash) on a mac and windows laptop, I'm seeing download speeds of 17 - 18 mbps  --- I'm testing both via wifi and direct ethernet

for the DATR stream we had a lot of buffering and pixelation - either my network isn't fast enough - (we don't have super high speed service - just basic cable modem service) -
or FLO's server setup can't handle the amount of simultaneous connections...

8 minutes ago, tedrick said:

using speedtest.net in chrome (doesn't require flash) on a mac and windows laptop, I'm seeing download speeds of 17 - 18 mbps  --- I'm testing both via wifi and direct ethernet

for the DATR stream we had a lot of buffering and pixelation - either my network isn't fast enough - (we don't have super high speed service - just basic cable modem service) -

Usually, I check on speedtest.net prior to each show just to see what I'm getting so I have an idea of what to expect.  Last night, prior to logging in for DeKalb, I was getting 43 Mbps with a wireless connection from my router.

8 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Your service isn't fast enough. Make sure your quality is set to Auto. That seems to solve buffering issues for me, though the video won't always be top quality (audio will still be strong).

Even on my gigabit Ethernet connection I can't stream uninterrupted when forcing 720p resolution (though I also have to run through a VPN, which definitely slows things down).