3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

Start to finish this was an amazing show.  So much talent, beautiful music and colors!  Thanks DATR!!!

• Like 2

Let us not forget that Bloo beat SCV by 0.9 in Rockford and then lost to SCV by 0.1 the next night... one show doesn't decide the season

posted from the DrumScorps app

Make that 0.7. My mistake

posted from the DrumScorps app

1 minute ago, mrk said:

I'd love to see Bloo repeat, but my eyes say SCV, and my ears say BD.

It may well be that Down Side Up was just so different that the followup isn't as compelling by comparison. But I will also admit that there is a ton of follow the leader in Jagged Line. A ton. Musically it blows my mind. Performances blow my mind. But drill is not running into and out of a stage, in as much as I love it personally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

One area where I feel Bloo is stumbling is the choreography with the bowlers and suspenders. It doesn't look like they are performing it fluidly and with ease, so it comes off more as a design contrivance. I'm also not clear how well it illustrates the musical style.

Whether it not you like the movement that BD is doing, they are performing it with 100% commitment. There is a clear vocabulary of the stutter-steps, rocking back and forth, various arm movements, etc.  These repeat throughout the program, fit the music well, and they are really selling them.

I totally agree with this. Design and delivery are such factors to a show's success.

Drum corp these days are not just about how many notes, how fast the feet marches or how many spins are made. Body content, facial expression, flow and dance are part of the equation. All a part of the evolution of Drum Corps. Details!

• Like 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

It may well be that Down Side Up was just so different that the followup isn't as compelling by comparison. 

See: Crown 2013-2014

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, they're from North Carolina but I suppose that's just semantics.  They are more clean than anyone however and haven't been included in the mix lately. 

Last time I checked, they are based in Fort Mill, SC. 

2 minutes ago, geluf said:

See: Crown 2013-2014

And Cadets 2005 - 2006.

Moral is: sequels never work.

• Like 1

BD's show has no visual content whatsoever compared to pretty much any other top corps. Why they're scoring so high is beyond me. I'd place them near Crown. Maybe that's why I'm not a judge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dmiggles said:

I totally agree with this. Design and delivery are such factors to a show's success.

Drum corp these days are not just about how many notes, how fast the feet marches or how many spins are made. Body content, facial expression, flow and dance are part of the equation. All a part of the evolution of Drum Corps. Details!

Yeah but I think Bluecoats delivers in those areas. Big time.

That said, when I first say Jagged Line, I wondered if having a massive stage split the middle of the field would prove to be a winning move. I still would pay to see Jagged Line performed 10 times in a row. But is there enough complexity to drill to compete with SCV and BD? The judges judge what they judge. BD knows this better than any corps in history. I'm not entirely sure Bluecoats cares as much about that aspect of shows.

• Like 1