Baron DeKalb's Regimental Tattoo - NIU 7/15

Latest video on DCI's YouTube channel features the announcer from this show that everyone said sounded bored.

• Like 2

PR is management issue and they don't have deep pockets. They have so many wealthy alumni that would donate big time if they hadn't been offended or turned away in the past. It's too bad. At least they are finally trying to get alumni involved, but it may be too late. Stability now!

Edited by fatbrassboy
needed to clarify

1 hour ago, fatbrassboy said:

PR is management issue and they don't have deep pockets. They have so many wealthy alumni that would donate big time if they hadn't been offended or turned away in the past. It's too bad. At least they are finally trying to get alumni involved, but it may be too late. Stability now!

Seems to happen a lot with with other corps, too.  Very sad because it doesn't have to be this way.  People care deeply about these corps and it hurts when someone says something harsh.   Someone saying I'm sorry that happened goes a long way. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Seems to happen a lot with with other corps, too.  Very sad because it doesn't have to be this way.  People care deeply about these corps and it hurts when someone says something harsh.   Someone saying I'm sorry that happened goes a long way. 

Alumni can be such a great support to the organization/MMs. Focus on what you all share in common and make folks feel appreciated. Rooting for PR and others to fix what needs fixing.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, henry7184 said:

Well I don’t understand how Regiment is beating Blue Stars and Crossmen. 

agreed, may have something to do with benefit of the doubt/ past history at this point in the season.  Also, Blue Stars brass is currently not getting the credit they deserve at this point, time will tell as the season progresses and more reads/listens/views by the judges  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, quietcity said:

My first corps, the Fox Valley Raiders, held a weekend camp there in 1977(!), and we horn players had great fun applying the stadium's reverb effect to Jethro Tull licks. 

So THAT's how Hop came up with the 2004 Cadets show. I blame you! :4_joy: :laughing:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brians said:

agreed, may have something to do with benefit of the doubt/ past history at this point in the season.  Also, Blue Stars brass is currently not getting the credit they deserve at this point, time will tell as the season progresses and more reads/listens/views by the judges  

I don't buy the "benefit of the doubt argument." PR barely beat Blue Stars in brass last year and haven't been a juggernaut that they used to be in the past 4 years or so. 

• Like 1

My live review

Colts; their show is way better than it was in Michigan City. They have done a nice job with it and are marching it fairly well. That prop still seems like a prop for props sake

Academy; generally liked their show, it felt a bit long, has some GE lulls. The people I was with liked it. Nice show. A few good moments here and there, I was wondering if kids knew ‘kill the wabbit’ or that was a generation lapse. Be cool if they added Leopold at the start. Didn’t think it was corny, felt it could use more gags to keep it moving

Crossmen; agree that they had a really nice brass sound and they didn’t dump a ton of electronics on it. Yea. It’s a nice enough show, was glad the folks with me mentioned the bondage vibe because I get that too. Something about that ballad has a 70’s art house creep feel and then their tie-you-up props. This show doesn’t grab me or anything, the brass is the best part. Not a bad show by any means just not my thing

Blues Stars; they have a lot of drill to clean; drums were better than the horns. Guard needs some work. It’s a nice enough show, doesn’t rock me, my favorite aspect is their drill. The flags using the quills was cool, the end still seems so disjointed and the voice over is redundant. Outside the Vegas show and the movies, there really isn’t a connecting idea which was noticed by the folks with me. None of us had seen more than one of the movies so…

Cadets;  visually, a very tacky show. It sounded nice, agree that electronics were lost (I was in the first 20 rows in the ‘seats’). I like their music as I like the source. My friend the hardcore catholic loved it and was taking picture of the closing set.  The guard member humping the cross was a nice touch. It seemed sort of High School musical, immature in it’s presentation, not artsy at all. Brace yourself Cadets, you may be headed to 7th place. I like the choir, they do a great job

SCV; really disappointed by their horn line, found the mic-ed ensemble to be very annoying live. I don’t know how they are scoring so well in brass. Some strange music GE moments that I don’t think they are being dinged for like the entire horn line is on the left side of the field and I hear them blasting out of the right speaker, not sure why they didn’t pan the balance to match the visual. It felt like a cheat as the top brass lines; Crown, BD, Bloo and Cadets would have taught their entire horn line to handle it. If it’s for an  effect, I don’t get it.  I was surprised how much it ruined the show for me as the rest of the show is brilliant. Some major foot timing issue, guard was out of step some time.  I take it back, they should not have been over BD. Live, they didn’t live up to their videos.

Cavies, with the electronics buried, I liked it better. I’m so on and off with this show. It will stay ahead of Cadets. The show lost a long time Cavies fan next to me and no one loved it, just OK. It’s very busy and for people that see just one show a year and would never watch a video, that’s not a good thing. They complained about it. All these layers and nuances are for the judges and the active fans and they do come at a price, thanks to the fresh eyes that pointed that out to me

Regiment; they’ve been a big mystery to me and sort of still are…after SCV I was expecting to hate the mic-ed brass but it didn’t have the same effect as it was the entire ensemble and only a few moments made me notice the amps. The corps was playing a softly but it got picked up and was loud through the amp so blew the Musical Effect. Then some major dirt in the horns during the closer and the mics really emphasized it, if they can’t get the brass cleaner, they should lose the mics unles they like showing off their dirt. In a different stadium, I may hate their mics but I didn’t that night. They run a lot but I was too low to catch the visual point. I liked their show, didn’t love it but a big step up from the past 2 years. They are on the right track. They filled the field and looked huge and that’s without props (other than the guard). I wonder if lack of props will hurt them, I’d hate it if it did. There is a lot of effect in the show to be realized by cleaning, especially in the guard. So just clean, don’t add. Their show looked completely unique; no other corps looked like them.  I didn’t get the voice overs or the point, they too drifted into 70’s art house smut not that that’s necessarily a bad thing but I think it makes some people just uncomfortable enough that they won’t connect to the show

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, FTNK said:

So THAT's how Hop came up with the 2004 Cadets show. I blame you! :4_joy: :laughing:

I was wondering who that bearded guy hanging around practice was!

33 minutes ago, cowtown said:

My live review

Colts; their show is way better than it was in Michigan City. They have done a nice job with it and are marching it fairly well. That prop still seems like a prop for props sake

Academy; generally liked their show, it felt a bit long, has some GE lulls. The people I was with liked it. Nice show. A few good moments here and there, I was wondering if kids knew ‘kill the wabbit’ or that was a generation lapse. Be cool if they added Leopold at the start. Didn’t think it was corny, felt it could use more gags to keep it moving

Crossmen; agree that they had a really nice brass sound and they didn’t dump a ton of electronics on it. Yea. It’s a nice enough show, was glad the folks with me mentioned the bondage vibe because I get that too. Something about that ballad has a 70’s art house creep feel and then their tie-you-up props. This show doesn’t grab me or anything, the brass is the best part. Not a bad show by any means just not my thing

Blues Stars; they have a lot of drill to clean; drums were better than the horns. Guard needs some work. It’s a nice enough show, doesn’t rock me, my favorite aspect is their drill. The flags using the quills was cool, the end still seems so disjointed and the voice over is redundant. Outside the Vegas show and the movies, there really isn’t a connecting idea which was noticed by the folks with me. None of us had seen more than one of the movies so…

Cadets;  visually, a very tacky show. It sounded nice, agree that electronics were lost (I was in the first 20 rows in the ‘seats’). I like their music as I like the source. My friend the hardcore catholic loved it and was taking picture of the closing set.  The guard member humping the cross was a nice touch. It seemed sort of High School musical, immature in it’s presentation, not artsy at all. Brace yourself Cadets, you may be headed to 7th place. I like the choir, they do a great job

SCV; really disappointed by their horn line, found the mic-ed ensemble to be very annoying live. I don’t know how they are scoring so well in brass. Some strange music GE moments that I don’t think they are being dinged for like the entire horn line is on the left side of the field and I hear them blasting out of the right speaker, not sure why they didn’t pan the balance to match the visual. It felt like a cheat as the top brass lines; Crown, BD, Bloo and Cadets would have taught their entire horn line to handle it. If it’s for an  effect, I don’t get it.  I was surprised how much it ruined the show for me as the rest of the show is brilliant. Some major foot timing issue, guard was out of step some time.  I take it back, they should not have been over BD. Live, they didn’t live up to their videos.

Cavies, with the electronics buried, I liked it better. I’m so on and off with this show. It will stay ahead of Cadets. The show lost a long time Cavies fan next to me and no one loved it, just OK. It’s very busy and for people that see just one show a year and would never watch a video, that’s not a good thing. They complained about it. All these layers and nuances are for the judges and the active fans and they do come at a price, thanks to the fresh eyes that pointed that out to me

Regiment; they’ve been a big mystery to me and sort of still are…after SCV I was expecting to hate the mic-ed brass but it didn’t have the same effect as it was the entire ensemble and only a few moments made me notice the amps. The corps was playing a softly but it got picked up and was loud through the amp so blew the Musical Effect. Then some major dirt in the horns during the closer and the mics really emphasized it, if they can’t get the brass cleaner, they should lose the mics unles they like showing off their dirt. In a different stadium, I may hate their mics but I didn’t that night. They run a lot but I was too low to catch the visual point. I liked their show, didn’t love it but a big step up from the past 2 years. They are on the right track. They filled the field and looked huge and that’s without props (other than the guard). I wonder if lack of props will hurt them, I’d hate it if it did. There is a lot of effect in the show to be realized by cleaning, especially in the guard. So just clean, don’t add. Their show looked completely unique; no other corps looked like them.  I didn’t get the voice overs or the point, they too drifted into 70’s art house smut not that that’s necessarily a bad thing but I think it makes some people just uncomfortable enough that they won’t connect to the show

Awesome review, thanks sharing your insights!