Drums Across Kansas - El Dorado, KS - July 17

Just now, dcsnare93 said:

That's mostly happening this year.

Crowd was decidedly for Bloo tonight. Saw both on live stream from the stands. That's why were were talking about this in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, superOOk said:

Crowd was decidedly for Bloo tonight. Saw both on live stream from the stands. That's why were were talking about this in the first place.

Not saying they weren't. It'd be cool to see a first time champion repeat.

I've also seen BD live several times, and text my son after each show to "check in". Just saying they're getting a lot more love from the crowd than has been usual the last few years.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dcsnare93 said:

I've also seen BD live several times, and text my son after each show to "check in". Just saying they're getting a lot more love from the crowd than has been usual the last few years.

Crowd went NUTS for BD's opening drill!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

In other news, BK has broken 80.

Whooo Hooo!!! And their percussion score!!!! Keep it up BK!!! Your show is awesome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

that just means they will design a show that will make fans throw their babies 

I think they've done a pretty good job of that this year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superOOk said:

Would love to see part of the GE score be a crowd reaction score. It would be great for DCI. It would force designers to create shows that audiences enjoy more, no? (not saying BD's show isn't entertaining, the crowd loves them! Especially that intro!)

Esoteric shows would go out of existence which would make me sad 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superOOk said:

Disagree to a point. I think audiences LOVE creativity. They also love seeing the traditional drum corps stuff. There is a way to do both (see TILT)

I'm sorry but this rule would mean scores would range wildly depending on the audience present at each stadium. No thanks. 

• Like 2

I think that everyone has a fundamental misunderstanding of what General Effect actually is in terms of what is even capable of being judged. Personal enjoyment is not an objective measure (obviously), and so it can't be (and in an ideal world isn't) part of the GE judging criteria.

General Effect, to me at least (though it seems generalizable enough), is simply a measure of how well the show designers communicate a holistic concept or idea through their show design (repertoire) and how well the performers convey that idea through their live performance and presentation of the designed material that the designers give them (performance). In other words, if the field is a plate, the designers are the chef that designs the dish, the performers are the cooks that create the dish, the judges are the restaurant reviewers, and the audience are all of the other patrons of the restaurant. A dish that receives rave reviews by critics may be disliked by the general public, and vice versa; a chef may simply design a poor dish, or the cooks may prepare an excellent dish poorly. Different restaurants may be fan favorites with lines out the door, but receive mediocre reviews, while others may consistently receive Michelin stars but lack widespread "commoner" appeal. What we see on the scoring sheet is the review in the newspaper, and the chatter in the stands is the word-of-mouth on the street; they are both important, but not necessarily linked.

To complete the analogy and bring it back to the discussion, in order to understand what's happening on the sheets, you're going to need to think like a food critic instead of as an everyday restaurant-goer; thinking like a judge is different from thinking like an audience member. Judges need to consider designers' intent, performers' communication of that intent, cohesion of design, and evaluation of errors. Audiences just need to be entertained.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

I would like to see a new champion repeat victories. It has happened: SCV and Blue Devils repeated, the then Garfield Cadets three-peated. It does seem as if Blue Devils show has a bit more too it, and Bluecoats may be too similar to last year. However, Bluecoats did not have an undefeated season last year, and last year's Blue Devils show had more moving parts than Bluecoats (though I found Bluecoats more engaging) so writing off either corps at this point is foolish. 

I'm not surprised Blue Devils felt the love last night. It seems that since 2014, crowds have been responding more favorably to BD. In past years it does seem as if BD is loved as they move east, it begins to wane around San Antonio, decreases as the move towards Atlanta and up the coast towards Allentown, and can be mixed in Indy.

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Esoteric shows would go out of existence which would make me sad 

Why would they? Esoteric shows don't score well now in GE anyway.