Brass Impact - Olathe, KS - July 17

My final thoughts on the night:

Nice to see a show live again after seven years of only online viewing. 

The only surprise for me placement wise is Genesis over Cascades, but congratulations to Genesis. They are making their first world class year count.

Great job by the Colts following SCV. Nice to see them rewarded with a good score.

Blue Stars are solid in all captions and have an interesting show. Lots going on. With that though, there are parts of their show that feel unfinished. One example, when the high horns are playing their feature toward the end of the show, the rest of the horns are parked along the 50 doing nothing. I assume there is visual to be added. I see they have three practice days this week. I am betting we see some changes (additions) by the weekend. 

Phantom's show flowed better than the Blue Stars, but it seemed to me that they were not as clean, particularly visually. 

The Cadets surprised me. They are much better than I thought watching them online. They could finish as high as 5th in my opinion. There are moments in their show that remind me of some of the great Cadet shows of the past. I predict they will be a big hit come finals week.

SCV is simply great. I love everything they are putting on the field. With that said, they have yet to beat the Blue Devils this year, so they are not the favorites to win the championship. By the way, has anyone else velcroed flags together since the Emerald Knights in 1977? :sigh:

It was fun tonight. Nice stadium, good crowd, lots of screaming band kids. The cheered for everyone. 

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Nice job Genesis jumping Cascades!  But the recaps shows they were pretty even.

Cascades...what on earth do they need to do?!  There is a magic key somewhere hidden in that show & these members have the potential to unlock the magic within!  I know all the members of every corps work hard so I'm not going to imply anything different, but these Cascades kids are working their tails off.  I'm super proud of their effort -- keep your chins up & fly high Cascades! 

• Like 4

I thought Cascades weren't clean visually.  Their guard  didn't seem confident tonight.  They just need to clean right now.  There are some nice spots in the show, but there are some visual problem that I feel is currently hurting their performance.

1 hour ago, dcikon2 said:

I thought Cascades weren't clean visually.  Their guard  didn't seem confident tonight.  They just need to clean right now.  There are some nice spots in the show, but there are some visual problem that I feel is currently hurting their performance.

I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing with regards to the guard. Perhaps the humidity? They did change some things up so maybe that is what wasn't completely clean.

i have to say, I am frustrated knowing this kids work their tails off, I almost feel as if they are discounted. If only people who aren't involved with the Cascades (parents, volunteers, etc) knew what the corp did to better the Cascades, the growth and evolution, they would understand why many of us are baffled at the last two shows and falling down in rank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alzam81 said:

Lol.. just curious to see how they scored since the scores for that show haven't been released yet. I know it's trivial to compare scores from different shows, but it's the only meter we have from day to day unless they are all performing on same show. Tomorrow we will see them all. The showtimes for tomorrow's show are rather strange. BD and SCV start the show.

Doubt performance order will make a difference. In the past 5 years, BD has performed first in that show and has won 4 of the contests. 

Really awesome to see Phantom slowly pulling away from the Blue Stars. I hope they can Duke it out with Blue Knights this season and fight for 7th

I had to keep thinking of where the Cascades were a couple of years ago compared to where they are now and am amazed.  I remember them only marching 7 guard at one time.  This is a big step up for them.  Their guard, especially weapons, seemed weaker compared to the other corps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

I had to keep thinking of where the Cascades were a couple of years ago compared to where they are now and am amazed.  I remember them only marching 7 guard at one time.  This is a big step up for them.  Their guard, especially weapons, seemed weaker compared to the other corps.

They are getting clobbered majorly in General Effect, Colorguard and Music. That Colorguard really really needs to tighten things up and perhaps limit and reconsider movement sections of the weapons it's really really exposed and not refined at all.