Dci Rookie Questions

I'm in a complicated situation but I will try my best to explain it.  I am a woodwind player primarily but I am trying to learn mellophone for the purpose of marching in dci one day.  My dream corps has been bluecoats since '08 but me being 18 years old and having no dci experience and being pretty bad on mello as of now, that dream seems to be fading (especially now that they're defending champs).

My first question would be what kind of skill level on my horn should I be at before going to any audition camps?  I don't want to just show up and waste everyone's time and make a fool of myself.  Should I be able to play previous show music?  Sightread at a good level?  As of right now I'm working on the basics of the instrument but I have absolutely no clue what to work on to prepare for auditions. 

Second, if I do get to the point of auditioning, what should I do rookie year?  Let's just say for argument's sake I'll march bluecoats before I age out.  I heard carolina crown requires previous world class experience or they wont even let you audition.  Are the bluecoats the same way?  My second favorite corps is phantom regiment, which would probably be a better rookie audition? 

Finally, the age out rule states if you turn 22 during the season you are still allowed to be in the corps.  Does this mean you can audition as a 21 year old? 

Thank you for reading and any advice on anything even if not mentioned specifically above is welcome.

For the first question, there's no real set skill level you need to be at but you have to obviously be good enough to make a line of 12-16 mellos. You aren't wasting people's time by going to an audition camp at all and don't ever think you are doing that. Just going to the camp alone can teach you sooooo much and is something I tell everyone to do. Just go! If you don't make it, so what. I guarantee you will leave a much better player than you were when you got there and have learned a lot as well.

Second one, jumping right into the top corps is obviously enticing but just realize you are jumping right into the top corps. I personally don't recommend doing that but I won't hold someone back from doing that. Knowing you have at least 3 years of eligibility though, I wouldn't look past auditioning for some of the lower corps. Yeah you probably won't learn a medal but I guarantee you will be a MUCH better mello player with a year under your belt. You always have another shot at those top corps later.

You can march when you're 22 if you turn 22 in June or later if I remember right. There might be a set date in June but I can't remember.

Good luck! Just don't be afraid of auditioning anywhere! Most people can't overcome that fear alone.

4 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

For the first question, there's no real set skill level you need to be at but you have to obviously be good enough to make a line of 12-16 mellos. You aren't wasting people's time by going to an audition camp at all and don't ever think you are doing that. Just going to the camp alone can teach you sooooo much and is something I tell everyone to do. Just go! If you don't make it, so what. I guarantee you will leave a much better player than you were when you got there and have learned a lot as well.

I guess sometimes I forget its a youth organization and not the NFL.  I've seen from many places to still go to top corps audition camps just for the experience and learn everything they teach you.  I haven't really looked into auditioning in a serious manner until now, but I'm assuming most corps have their auditions on different dates or more than one audition camp so it's possible to attend multiple camps from different groups? 

My opinion:

If your ultimate goal is to march in the Bluecoats, you should audition there this fall. Even if you know you're not at all ready, you'll learn what it takes and what they expect. This will help you prepare for the next year. Here's how I would suggest you approach it:

A) Work your butt of to be as ready as you can be.

B) Learn as much as you can about the organization and their audition requirements. Most corps publish a packet of information and audition materials.

C) Know going in that you may not be ready and have a backup plan to go somewhere else. Knowing that your end goal is pretty high, I would suggest you aim high and take a spot in the best corps that will have you. That will give you the best preparation to move up later. You may have to audition at several corps. (Most offer more than one audition camp.)

You can march the season if you're 22nd birthday is after June 1. (So those with birthdays between June 1 and Finals night can march at the age of 22.)