The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yawn.

Hey, Cavies won guard!

I'm still smiling about that one. They're truly a fun guard to watch. I don't know much about guard performance, but the stuff they're doing seems athletic as anything else out there. Love it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Your #### right my argument is with the sheets. Drum corps should be artistic, not formulaic.

And the moment you try to codify art, you set criteria that not everyone's going to agree with.

• Like 2

I'm definitely not a BD fan...but I kinda like them this year..weird for me to say that...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No it's not. Judges make mistakes. That's all it says. There's a bunch of championship shows from several different corps that lots of observers feel won over better competition.

I mean, if I say that BD last year deserved to win the championship, have I just insulted Bloo's members?

Tell me. If you walked up to a Blue Devils member right now and straight up told them, "you guys didn't deserve that 2015 championship"

how do you think they would take it? How is saying such a thing on an open forum any different from saying it to their face? 

Just now, Cappybara said:

Tell me. If you walked up to a Blue Devils member right now and straight up told them, "you guys didn't deserve that 2015 championship"

how do you think they would take it? How is saying such a thing on an open forum any different from saying it to their face? 

What if I walked up to a Blue Devils member right now and straight up told her, "you deserved the 2016 championship"?

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, some dislike of BD comes from fans who find them repetitive. (Although when was the last time they performed anything like this year's opener?) But if that quality isn't on the sheets, then your argument is with the sheets, not with BD, about what "champions should be".

I think that their opener this year is absolutely brilliant, and the best part of the show by far. That said, it goes downhill very fast for me in terms of design, as they get more and more mired in abstraction (sacrificing clarity in the process).

My problem is 100% with the sheets. The BD design staff have discovered precisely how to work the sheets, and are doing what they're doing to win. I can get that. However, I disagree philosophically with their decision to do so at the expense of accessibility, and I disagree vehemently with the layout of the sheets that allows them to make that decision in the first place.

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But the #1 frustration with BD is that they design to the sheets. There has been very little innovation, or even deviation from their stock design aesthetic in a decade. 

Go back and watch 2008 BD and then compare it to this year. They are easily doing 600% more body movement and variety of movement than they did back then. Plus differences in pacing, treatment of entrances and exits, etc. 

It is easy to miss because they evolve and grow a bit gradually each year, but the shows from a decade ago look positively old-fashioned now. 

You can say you don't care for their style, but a lot of the fairly radical ideas they began experimenting with in 2012 and beyond have now been adopted by lots of the competition. Innovation is not always made in grand obvious gestures. The ideas that stick often fly under the radar, because they work so well that they don't always call attention to themselves. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, pudding said:

I think that their opener this year is absolutely brilliant, and the best part of the show by far. That said, it goes downhill very fast for me in terms of design, as they get more and more mired in abstraction (sacrificing clarity in the process).

My problem is 100% with the sheets. The BD design staff have discovered precisely how to work the sheets, and are doing what they're doing to win. I can get that. However, I disagree philosophically with their decision to do so at the expense of accessibility, and I disagree vehemently with the layout of the sheets that allows them to make that decision in the first place.

If all the other corps think that BD only beat them because of the sheets, then all the other corps can push at the next DCI meeting for a change to the sheets.

34 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Looks like a tight battle among SOA, PC, and OC if I'm reading the recaps correctly. 

28 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Going down the sheet a ways...  Music GE judge #1 put Oregon Crusaders 5-6 places lower than judge #2.  Not seeing that kind of disparity in the same caption anywhere else.

Well, we tried, but it looks like everyone only wants to talk about the top of the sheets. Sigh!

• Like 4