The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

33 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If you watch shows from the 80s and 90s, you will see no "scatter drill" or "jazz walking," corps marched in formations to get from one set to the next.

Actually, there was plenty of scatter drill in the 90s. Watch Cadets 1990 perform "Somewhere" from Bernstein's West Side Story. It's a form of scatter to set to scatter to set approach. Brilliantly done!  As for the jazz running, you are correct. While we saw some of that in the 80s and 90s, it was usually guard only. Blue Devils brought that to the brass in bigger doses. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

The scores do seem unusually low, especially for Crown. From the seats last night - and obviously just my take on it - both BAC and Crown guards had little of the impact of Phantom. I haven't been a big fan of PR's show, either.

PR jumped 1.3 (in guard) in one night

Edited by CorpsLife
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Holy Cow!  Blue Devils I simply have no words. What a show!  This is becoming my favorite BD show in 10 years, even over 2015.  That brass book is just incredible. If anyone can challenge Carolina in brass it is definitely Blue Devils. Their balances were just incredible tonight. Solos were fantastic (although I couldn't hear the trombone soloist -- mic issue maybe). Their guard is spectacular, but especially in that ballad. What incredible writing. Still think they need to fine tune the visual just a bit at the very end, but this show can easily win it all, just as SCV could. 

Way to go, Devils!!!  

Opinions Vary

• Like 1

These post-show fan critiques are always a good read. Top to bottom, these corps ALL appeal to us. Each bringing something we find "in better quality" than those who can, collectively, place higher. Our personal tensions speaks to the reality of competition itself. There are only so many spots available up on that podium.

Just ain't fair.  But . . . . let's keep it that way !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

it was Cadets, in fact, that truly changed DCI by introducing asymmetrical formations.

Historical correction.

Both SCV and 27th did assymetrical formations before the Garfield Cadets. Cadets just made them a way of life.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Well, we tried, but it looks like everyone only wants to talk about the top of the sheets. Sigh!

That judging disparity in GE music (for OC) was quite large.  Bothered me all night.  Whether or not others want to discuss it, I can't get it out of my head this morning!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Glad you were on the field to judge that last night. Please share your tapes and sheets so that DCPers can weigh in. :)

Yeah Marty's not gonna throw a number just because 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mead09 said:

Guard scores were very very odd last night anyway???? 

I agree that the scores and placements were a bit different from what we have been seeing lately.

That being said, your comment presumes that the nightly performance of each guard is static and that definitely was not the case last night. Some improved. Some couldn't hold on to equipment, etc. 

It's the subcaptions on the guard sheet that I find most telling. This judge had his particular likes and dislikes about content more than achievement. Is it time that regionals have two guard judges and average the scores like GE, percussion, and music?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3