The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

17 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Also I love—genuinely—that everyone's a guard expert now. :xmas:

Hey, if everyone thinks they know the best way to structure a health care industry, why not evaluate drum corps guards?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Besides the physical conversations after  the show for a pre-set time so each corps has equal access to each judge as in days gone bye, today critique ...

Many thanks w/ appreciation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Until you hear a judges tape, you won't ever know. 

I do find it odd that people think a judge would deliberately score a corps lower/higher when there are judges tapes made for each performance. It's not like these judges are just throwing numbers out there without any explanation

I don't think there are judges who intentionally score a corps lower or higher to hurt them in the standings, but like most people the judges may have biases that they are not even aware of.  So if there is a consistent pattern with the judge or their scores are way off when compared to other judges you have wonder why.

Edited by bluesman
grammar

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

So there is no misunderstanding, ( and in fairness to Michael Lentz  Guard Judge ) he was not " fired " from his role as the Visuals Programmer at Boston for creating the Visuals for their " Animal Farm ", show in  2014. He and Boston mutually decided to go in a different direction after his one year stint at Boston at the end of 2014 from my understanding. That said, you and I agree, there should be a longer time out for a any judge that decides to leave judging ranks, go to a staff, then decide to come back to judging Corps in competition again. A 12 month hiatus before being allowed to return to the judging ranks seems much too brief a requirement.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  The way I worded my comment made it sound like it was about Michael Lent, when I meant it as a more general way of talking about how people and judges may have biases that they are not even aware of.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I don't think there are judges who intentionally score a corps lower or higher to hurt them in the standings, but like most people the judges may have biases that they are not even aware of.  So if there is a consistent pattern with the judge or their scores are way off when compared to other judges you have wonder why.

It's when judges scores are relatively the same week-to-week that we wonder why, also.....

Google school of medicine; DCP school of judging, costuming, hair-tosses, music, percussion, history, ethics, accounting, physiognomy, cocktail-making, staff movements, decible procurement and grammar. Love it!

Gifting is a good thing, especially for those you honk..and those you hate.

Great Season.

• Like 2

Just now, bluesman said:

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  The way I worded my comment made it sound like it was about Michael Lent, when I meant it as a more general way of talking about how people and judges may have biases that they are not even aware of.  

And here is the conundrum. 

On the one hand, the stated judging philosophy a la the Cesario changes of several seasons back is that the judge is only to judge the performance before the judge at that show and rank and rate according to that show.

On the other hand would it be realistic to say that any DCI judge of caliber would be totally oblivious to where a corps has been scoring over the course of the season or most recently?

And on the other other hand  as the father says in Fiddler on the Roof, would we want someone judging who is oblivious to the rest of the activity and unaware of anything but what is before the judge at that moment?

• Like 1

Looks like you were given a gift that lets you be both condescending and passive aggressive at the same time.