The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

DCI is all about control and clarity 

Has been. Doesn't mean it will be, or should be, in the future. We are heading into a new era, folks.

Let me say, everyone knows I love Bluecoats. But really, look at Cavaliers as proof of what I am saying. They were the ultimate traditionalist corps, and now they are almost out-Bluecoating Bluecoats. Right now, under the current scoring system, there is no way in hades this Cavaliers show wins gold. You could switch marching members between blue Devils and Cavaliers and Cavaliers would not win gold. The show does not have enough of the compulsories the judges value, and is far too loose and emotion driven to considered controlled and disciplined.

and for the record, the Cavaliers shows from the last two years are not among my favorites.

No - PR should not have been 4th.  Their content, complexity and demand is nowhere near Boston or Crowns.  Phantom has a very good guard this year, but it's a very good 7th or 8th place guard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Who knew judging guard was so complicated? :whistle:

Spin, spin, spin!:fight:

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Who knew judging guard was so complicated? :whistle:

Last night's scores reminds me of the'80's - when guard scores didn't count and judging was super subjective !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guardguy89 said:

Last night's scores reminds me of the'80's - when guard scores didn't count and judging was super subjective !

yes now the guard counts more than it should and the scoring is still super subjective

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pudding said:

And yet, it's an absolutely undeniable fact that BD designs to the sheets. The way the sheets are laid out rewards including as many styles and elements as possible in order to demonstrate as many skills as possible. What is conspicuously missing from the sheets is any kind of restriction on cohesion and integration of these elements together. While corps will often do these things in an integrated manner in service of a holistic show, there are many, many examples of things being "thrown in" for the sake of more credit, with little or no relation to the show theme or concept. Alternatively, skills or design elements will be treated as a checklist that the designers go down: Double tonguing section? Check. Hard drill section? Check. Body movement/dance section? Check. Drum break? Check. Etc...

BD is the most conspicuous and flagrant offender in terms of this style of design, and it's not their fault. That's just how the sheets are designed. They've recognized this, and they are designing to the sheets. As I said before, my problem isn't necessarily with BD (although philosophically I disagree with them), it's 100% with the sheets for having the loophole in the first place and letting it happen.

It's not a loophole, and none of the things you mention (double-tonguing, drum breaks [wtf?], hard drill sections) are some newfangled way to game the system. These have always existed! Even body movements—unless we're all going to pretend that coming to attention, sharply and in unison, isn't exactly the sort of unified body movement this entire activity is founded on. None of this is new, and none of this is a conspiracy. If a distinct "hard drill section" that doesn't necessarily support a show's themes is now going to be considered criminally playing to the sheets, then the Cadets have been in jail since the 80s. 

You guys are making one very grave mistake. You're conflating BD winning with BD being the only corps whose designs are being "rewarded by the judges."

Think about that: you mean to tell me that Carolina Crown wasn't rewarded for their design in 2015, for example, when they got second place in the entire activity? Is that really what second place means? You mean to tell me "old school drum corps" doesn't satisfy the sheets just as much as the new stuffwhen SCV this year is considered a clear co-frontrunner?

If that's rare, it's because corps styles have moved away from it by choice, not because old school style that doesn't "play to the sheets" can't be rewarded by the judges. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Has been. Doesn't mean it will be, or should be, in the future. We are heading into a new era, folks.

I'm sorry, but you're advocating for a shift away from readability and high level execution in favor of... what exactly? Raw energy? Emotional response? This is bleeding heart nonsense that has no place in a judged activity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guardguy89 said:

Bring back the tick....

animated-spider-gif-3.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yes now the guard counts more than it should and the scoring is still super subjective

literally guard is almost a third of some corps, definitely PR. I push for a second guard judge at Regionals then combine the scores and divide by 2. It would equalize any Lentz-style outliering.

• Like 3