The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

All the Corps agreed to the sheets. All Corps design their shows " to the sheets". Some better than others, of course. If some Corps arn't where they want, and need to be, " the sheets " is not the problem, the show design is. Other Corps developed better shows " to the sheets ".

However, a judge's calling, is not my calling as a fan. I had no input on the sheets as an audience member/ fan. I do not count on the sheets. But I have two hands. They clap for all Corps shows. But they clap louder and more enthusiastically for those shows that have a cogent, compelling theme that I understand, and is performed well. The judges have no input on this with me. Their sheets are as meaningless to my enjoyment of a Corps show, as I am to the sheets the judges utilize to award points.

Yes, but "performed well" is the issue.

Show designs change, as do crowd reactions and expectations. To say nothing of what the marching members enjoy performing. Just saying, evaluation of what a winning score should be is an ongoing discussion and one that is good to have in an open form like this one. 

There was a time in which if a corps came out and jazz ran, did scatter drills, and had trumpet players dancing like they were in the guard, they'd be booed out of the stadium and given a single digit score.

23 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Truth. That judge should be reprimanded. His marks (at least for 4th place) were utterly ridiculous, and I don't know how anyone in sound mine could disagree. Regiment's guard isn't even on the same playing field with Bloos, much less 0.1 down from SCV, and 2nd to BD in achievement. Laughable.

I'm find with Cavies guard winning, and Cadets 5th - if you thought that's what I was disagreeing with.

Now he must burn...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pudding said:

In recent memory, Cadets 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015 all had intelligent, show-driven drill design. Mello runs are a stylistic element of the drum corps idiom and don't really apply here. Screamers are a stylistic element of jazz and make perfect sense in a jazz show. 

If you're looking for counter examples, try again.

You could just as easily say double-tonguing and showing off with flashy drill are a part of the drum corps idiom, as corps have always shown off in that way. 

Face it: your basic point is that these are only problems for you when the corps you dislike wins doing them, and that they're not a problem when it's the corps you like—or the ones you marched with. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

You could just as easily say double-tonguing and showing off with flashy drill are a part of the drum corps idiom, as corps have always shown off in that way. 

Face it: your basic point is that these are only problems for you when the corps you dislike wins doing them, and that they're not a problem when it's the corps you like—or the ones you marched with. 

you go Kanye! (and I agree)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pudding said:

I'm sorry, but you're advocating for a shift away from readability and high level execution in favor of... what exactly? Raw energy? Emotional response? This is bleeding heart nonsense that has no place in a judged activity.

This is what oldsters said 15-20 years ago, when Blue Devils started winning shows dominated with dramatic performance techniques. The times are a-changin' my friend. Show designs change, uniforms change, standards change, instrumentation changes, and expectations change. Electronics, jazz performance, dramatic staging, all of this broadens the appeal but makes the activity increasingly more subjective. 

Im old enough to remember when the Winter Olympics put compulsory figure skating on in prime time. Now, I don't think they even televise it. It's now all about the interpretive long form show in which emotional interpretation and connection with the audience is scored right alongside compulsory performance.

Edited by MikeRapp

1 hour ago, pudding said:

Your assumption that I dislike those things just for existing is false. What I dislike is when those things are thrown into a show for the sake of being there, with no attention being given to making them blend seamlessly with the rest of the show. Having a double-tonguing feature that is part of the source material and which makes sense from a pacing and flow perspective is fine. Having a double-tonguing feature for the sake of having a double-tonguing feature is not.

What corps are you complaining about here? Crown is the biggest culprit by far of the destruction of flow to add in some fancy double tonguing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

All these people complaining about guard scores should all become judges. Plus, I'm sure that judge knows a little bit about the caption given A. That they ARE the judge, and B. That we AREN'T the judge(s). It may not be what you thought it should've been (it certainly wasn't for me) but they clearly are more knowledgeable in the guard category than I (a brass player) am.

The issue with the guard scoring is it is so out of sync with what has happened in the rest of the season. Imagine SCV (and then Bloo) winning/2nd in percussion all year and then suddenly last night Phantom wins drums and SCV is 6th and Bloo 7th. There would be even more of an uproar. This isn't simply a case of "who had the best run on the night" but a different application/ philosophy of using the sheets to arrive at a score. 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

hang.

"once, at band camp, there was this....".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I guess it depends on who it seems suspect to. And I don't think comparing that judge to a chimp is cool. That's quite rude, even if you disagree with them. And that "score" can change the results come finals. Honestly it's about the enjoyment, not the score. People need to quit getting so caught up in scores. Just enjoy the shows and let the staff take judge critique and make their changes.

I agree that being rude to judges is uncool. Though this activity would bore me to tears if there were not scores and judging!  

• Like 2